Yes, I said our first call to poison control. It was a thrilling Tuesday around here, folks.
I didn't plan so well 6 months ago, when I made Colton and I's dentist appointments...to say the least. I had been off Thursday/Friday of last week, as well as Monday for Uncle Dave's farm auction. (I'll document that in my next post). You could about imagine as crazy as work has been lately that 3 days off put me about 5 days behind -- so leaving early for a dentist appointment wasn't really in the cards, but since it was scheduled, we made it work. Actually, as far as Colton was concerned, it worked out wonderfully, because last week he studied tooth care and the dentist, so it was perfect timing for him. He was jacked up, so excited for his first visit. He was a champ when we got there, "helping" me with paperwork and stepping right up on the stool for his panoramic x-ray. He got into his seat, and she showed him the picture she had just taken of his teeth and he was asking questions about the tools when a lady walked in and grumpily told me that she'd see me in the room across the hall. You could about imagine what happens next. I tell her no, she gets crappy about me having to reschedule because I scheduled our appointments "side by side"...and Colton immediately clams up, produces great big crocodile tears and shakily begs me not to go. I must have shot that hygienist the nastiest look, because she said she'd look into rescheduling. So, the rest of the visit was spent coaxing Colton into each step and talking him out of tears. We survived. Sort of. The bright spots included him finally putting on his "free" sunglasses while she checked his teeth, opening wide to show off his "big mouth" and Jason surprising us. He happily went off to work with Jason (toting his new toothbrush, trial toothpaste and sunglasses) and I went on back to work...after having rescheduled my appointment for another three weeks from now...and yes, that lady who ruined our appointment got a nasty look on the way out. Seriously....there was NO WAY I was going to leave my FOUR YEAR OLD son alone for his first appointment.
Now back to poison control call. The excitement about being a champ at his first dentist appointment carried on as we arrived home. Emmalyn joined in the fun of seeing Colton's new brush and paste, and of course, she had to get her hands on them. We were all in the sun room enjoying Charlotte's Web, when we couldn't find Em. As we were parenting from our "butts", we hollered for Em a few times, but didn't get up to see what she was up to. We assumed she was upstairs playing with her kitchen, and were a bit suprised to see her come into the sunroom covered in toothpaste -- on her hands, in her mouth, with Colton's new trial sized paste open and in her mouth and obviously, tasty....which of course, got us off her butts in a hurry! We cleaned her up and assessed the situation to see how much she'd eaten...and then read the warnings so called poison control. Luckily, she was fine -- we just needed to watch her for vomiting and make sure she drinks some milk. Thankfully, it was nothing -- aside from an eventful day/evening.
Let's not be repeating that day, anytime soon.
I didn't plan so well 6 months ago, when I made Colton and I's dentist appointments...to say the least. I had been off Thursday/Friday of last week, as well as Monday for Uncle Dave's farm auction. (I'll document that in my next post). You could about imagine as crazy as work has been lately that 3 days off put me about 5 days behind -- so leaving early for a dentist appointment wasn't really in the cards, but since it was scheduled, we made it work. Actually, as far as Colton was concerned, it worked out wonderfully, because last week he studied tooth care and the dentist, so it was perfect timing for him. He was jacked up, so excited for his first visit. He was a champ when we got there, "helping" me with paperwork and stepping right up on the stool for his panoramic x-ray. He got into his seat, and she showed him the picture she had just taken of his teeth and he was asking questions about the tools when a lady walked in and grumpily told me that she'd see me in the room across the hall. You could about imagine what happens next. I tell her no, she gets crappy about me having to reschedule because I scheduled our appointments "side by side"...and Colton immediately clams up, produces great big crocodile tears and shakily begs me not to go. I must have shot that hygienist the nastiest look, because she said she'd look into rescheduling. So, the rest of the visit was spent coaxing Colton into each step and talking him out of tears. We survived. Sort of. The bright spots included him finally putting on his "free" sunglasses while she checked his teeth, opening wide to show off his "big mouth" and Jason surprising us. He happily went off to work with Jason (toting his new toothbrush, trial toothpaste and sunglasses) and I went on back to work...after having rescheduled my appointment for another three weeks from now...and yes, that lady who ruined our appointment got a nasty look on the way out. Seriously....there was NO WAY I was going to leave my FOUR YEAR OLD son alone for his first appointment.
Now back to poison control call. The excitement about being a champ at his first dentist appointment carried on as we arrived home. Emmalyn joined in the fun of seeing Colton's new brush and paste, and of course, she had to get her hands on them. We were all in the sun room enjoying Charlotte's Web, when we couldn't find Em. As we were parenting from our "butts", we hollered for Em a few times, but didn't get up to see what she was up to. We assumed she was upstairs playing with her kitchen, and were a bit suprised to see her come into the sunroom covered in toothpaste -- on her hands, in her mouth, with Colton's new trial sized paste open and in her mouth and obviously, tasty....which of course, got us off her butts in a hurry! We cleaned her up and assessed the situation to see how much she'd eaten...and then read the warnings so called poison control. Luckily, she was fine -- we just needed to watch her for vomiting and make sure she drinks some milk. Thankfully, it was nothing -- aside from an eventful day/evening.
Let's not be repeating that day, anytime soon.
Ah...The trial size toothpaste - it was the culprit for our first call to poison control as well. Dallas and Charlie (our dog) ate a tube this summer. I hope Dallas is as excited for his 1st appointment. Both kiddos go for their first visits in a week and a half!
ReplyDelete