Skip to main content

I LOVE the country.

Maybe I've been overly emotional lately. Maybe I've just been sentimental. I'm not sure what has my emotions brewing (NO, I'm not pregnant), but this morning, I cried listening to Jason Aldean's new song -- "Fly Over States". Perhaps it helps that I have a huge crush on that Jason too, but the words to that song that get me, everytime, go a little like this:

30,000 feet above, could be Oklahoma
Just a bunch of square corn fields and wheat farms,
man it all looks the same,
miles and miles of backroads and highways,
connecting little towns with funny names,
Who'd want to live down there in the middle of nowhere...

They've never drove through Indiana,
Met the man who plowed that earth, planted that seed,
busted his ass for you and me,
Or caught a harvest moon in Kansas,
They'd understand why God made, those fly over states...

Do you get it? I do know the man(a lot of them) who has plowed our earth, planted that seed and busted his ass for you and me. Better yet, I'm related to many of them. I've driven miles and miles of backroads and highways in this great state, and I've snickered at all the funny names of little towns as I drove (often while wearing a stiff blue curduroy jacket with an emblem that means more to me than most will ever realize.) I've seen a moon so bright that it lights up our whole property and reminds me that there's someone so much bigger than us up there looking down. I've seen the sunset from the buddy seat of a combine while my Dad or brother or Uncle busted their ass so that you and I could eat every day. I have done my "part" by providing them a lunch or dinner to fill their empty stomachs after a long days work. I've helped move equipment late into an evening to wrap up the day, and helped windex all the windows of the combine each morning, so that Dad had a fresh start to the day. I've watched my kids giggle at the joy of feeding an ear of corn to a calf in our pasture and watched them learn and explore the seasons based on which implement they'd get to spend the evening in with Grandpa. I've rolled my windows down and enjoyed the smell of freshly plowed earth, the sweet smell of growing corn in the summertime and listened as the crisp cool fall winds blew through the ready to be harvested corn fields. I've driven down gravel roads, sat in the back of a jacked up tailgate around a humungous bonfire and drive 10mph for three miles following a tractor so it arrived safely to its destination and it's precious driver back to the farm. I've explored the creek from underneath the bridge on that old gravel road, and I've introduced my kids to the same joy of exploration. They don't know what the city is, and I'm actually 100% okay with that...even though at times in their life, I'll introduce them to it, hopefully to only have them realize what I have. Country is where we belong.

I've often said I couldn't live in Florida because I'd miss my seasons. I think I'd miss all of it- the spring blooms, the summer growth spurts, the crisp cool fall winds, and the joy of a white Christmas. And more importantly, the sights, sounds and smells that come with them, that can only be felt, seen, heard in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

I think it's the joy of growing up in the country that helps a person realize how much they have to be thankful for. We lead a simple life. We aren't (too) flashy. We wear carhearts and crocs. Our hands are often dirty and our kids love to be barefooted. We don't blink at eating a foil wrapped cheeseburger on the tailgate of a pickup on the endrows of a freshly harvested field, with dirty hands and sweat on our brows. Those are memories we won't ever forget. That and getting to tumble wild and free in the bed of the dumptruck atop a pile of corn or soybeans.

I've always said that I have a true passion for Agriculture, but I think as I grow older (and I hope, wiser) I realize that it's not so much where I live that's taught me so much in life. It's how we earned a living where we lived and how God blessed us to do so...right here in the middle of one of those "fly over" states.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...