Well, after two months of fighting illness and decline, we had to make the tough decision to put Murphy down today. It wasn't easy -- but we'd seen steady decline and you have to consider the dogs health vs. our own need/want to have the pet in our life. We have had Murphy for nearly 7 years -- since he was 8 1/2 weeks old. Our first baby, if you will. I know that sounds cliche, and trust me, having grown up on a busy road out on the farm, we weren't used to having a dog as a pet for more than a few months, maybe years, at a time. They'd run away. They'd get hit. Whatever the case, they didn't seem to stick around long. And aside from Heidi and now Rocky, I don't quite recall a love this strong for a pet. Well, aside from my pigs...I loved them each summer, but that was different.
When I was two, (I think) my Grandpa Hall gave me my first dog - Heidi. She was a beautiful beagle and she hung out with us until I was in late elementary school, perhaps 6th grade. I can still remember to this day, Heidi struggling in the end, out near the sandbox and my Dad having to pick her up to take her to town to be put down. I bawled from the back door window, not wanting to see her go. I knew I'd just NEVER get over her. And obviously, at 30, I never did -- I still remember how hard it was to let her go. I haven't yet had to say goodbye to my other childhood dog...thankfully Rocky is still around...but I'm sure it won't be easy when his time comes either.
When Murphy got sick a few months ago and we first started to notice something was wrong, I think I was in denial. Trust me, Murphy wasn't always a good dog...which would be why he's landed on Craigslist not once but twice in his short life. Looking back, maybe it wasn't him, maybe it was us - not being there enough for him, but the combination of his orneriness and our business weren't good. And each time I'd convince Jason to take him off the listing, that we could be better "parents"...he'd straighten up. For a month or so! :) But, all in all, he was a good dog, and we've got so many great memories with him. In Murph's memory, and so that I never forget what a great pup he was for our family, I'm going to list a few things below. I'm crying as I write this, but have a smile on my face. It's an odd feeling realizing he's not just outside or hiding on the back of the couch.
-- We hadn't had Murph more than a few weeks, maybe a month when we took him to be groomed for the first time. After the groom, I had to run a QUICK errand at Walmart. (I should have known better - quick and Walmart never go together). I thought I'd leave Murph to sleep peacefully on the seat while I ran in. I cracked the windows and off I went. When I returned...Murph was going crazy trying to find me. Back and forth to the front of the car. How did I know that he'd been looking for me? Because he'd pooped on the seat, stepped in it and tracked it all over our only 5 months old brand new vehicle. I was mortified and I had no idea where I was going to sit to get the car home to clean it all up. I think I managed to empty my groceries and sit on the plastic bag and THANK GOD it all cleaned up to where you couldn't tell anything had ever happend. I'll never forget...
-- When Grandma Hall first got admitted to the nursing home, we learned that they occasionally let other dogs into the nursing home because they felt it could be beneficial for the residents. Good enough reason for me to try to sneak my new pup in for a visit. Gram actually kind of liked it...or like so many other things with Grandma, she sure had me fooled if she didn't. Grandma got to meet our first puppy and our first baby and for that - I'm forever greatful.
-- Murph loved chasing the kids down the hill on the sled. We've got some great action shots with Murph's ears flying in the wind as he raced down the hill.
-- I'm sure Aunt Jessie can remember the time she watched the kids out here at the house for a few hours -- and just like I did so many times - let Murph out to pee, and kind of forgot about him. Unfortunately for her, we had cows at the time, and Murph loved to find himself ear deep in a cowpatty. Jess grabbed him up to rinse him off in our outside spiggot....except it wasn't yet turned on! :( Oops! Two babies under 7 months old and a cowpie covered Murphy!
-- Murphy camped with us a few times (which wasn't always enjoyable for him or us...but we managed), he swam with us in Mom & Dad's pool, ruined a handful of beds while being crate trained...one while living with Mom & Dad, and Dad still thinks he's cute, ripped up a stretch of brand new carpet in Brad & Jacki's house and loved hanging down by the creek.
-- My favorite thing about Murphy was the way he'd watch out for me. He was good to all of us, but each evening, I'm tpically the last one to bed. He'd wait downstairs with me, or occasionally he'd go up to bed with Jason, but would wait at the top of the stairs for me. He'd stand his gaurd by our bed, until I was almost in bed, then he'd pounce up onto the bed for one last snuggle. I'd snap and ask him to get in bed, and under the bed he'd go for the night.
 |
| I can't ever figure out how to flip these, but what a great shot of Murph, if you tilt your head to the left... |
 |
| A little boys best friend. |
 |
| And protector. |
 |
| I loved finding Murph asleep like this at the end of a long day... |
 |
| Always at the door to greet us when we returned. |
He was wonderful with our kids and wonderful to us. No matter how angry we might have gotten to us, he loved us unconditionally and that's a wonderful/powerful lesson for a 15lb dog to teach us. He'd bark and get excited to see anyone who came to our house and he loved being the center of attention.
Murphy, thank you for the 6 years of your unconditional love. Thank you for being such a great pup and for always making us feel better when we'd had a bad day. They say a dog is man's best friend. They aren't kidding. Love you pup, we're sure gonna miss you.
Comments
Post a Comment