It's kind of surreal to realize I get to celebrate Mother's day. Honestly, I'm just happy that I've still got a mother I can share this special day with and thank her for all the things she's taught me over the years. She's still the one I want to talk to when I'm in a bad mood (unless she's brutally honest, then I'd rather just talk to Dad!), the one I lean on for sound advice, and the one I call first when the kids are sick to see if it warrants a call to the doctors office. I'm pretty sure I'll be one lost puppy when she's gone...but for now, we're soaking it up together. I can honestly say I couldn't ask for a better Mom/best friend. It's true what they say about girls growing into women and their mom's having a dual role later in life. I'm pretty darn pleased with the dual role woman I got placed in my life.
And I'm hopeful that someday I get to share in that same dual role with my daughter. She completed my weekend by being her typical happy/giggly self. We ran her to pieces going here and there, and all she wanted at the end of the day was an extra snuggle, an "ock" in the rocking chair and a "ook" (book) before bed. She even clasped her hands when we said our prayers.
However, this mothers day, it was my firstborn (you know, the reason I first BECAME a mother) that brought me to tears. He came bouncing home from school on Thursday night and proclaimed he had an "velope" for me (he always leaves off the "en") and that I couldn't open it until Mother's day. Like I said before - we "ran" all weekend, so the envelope stayed tucked away in Colton's book bag until early Sunday morning. He retrieved his bag from his Dad's truck, and was quick to bring me my envelope. I expected something homemade, but never did I expect to get emotional about it. I'll add a picture as soon as I learn how...but basically, it stated all the things Colton loved about me, and what he appreciated most (me making him food). It said that "My Mom is as pretty .... "as a princess". When I asked him last night at bedtime if he thought Mommy was as pretty as a princess, he replied "Yes, but only when you wear a dress". HA! Welp, there ya have it. Mom's can only be made to feel special for a split second! :) On the back of the questionnaire, it was his little hand prints and a poem about how he won't be little long.
Isn't that the truth. My baby is 4 1/2 years old. My baby baby will be 2 in a few short weeks. My dear friend had a baby just recently, and upon leaving the hospital, I texted Jason..."Ugh, now I've definitely got the baby bug". His response? "Ugh, I definitely don't". Guess we've still got some convincing to do! :)
As for my big baby...he got me a wonderful card about how he may not be smart, but he sure duped me into marrying him, so he can't be that stupid! :) Always the romantic!
I'm thankful to be a mother, and on the days when life hands me lemons...my kids typically make me realize there are wonderful things in this world like tequila and vodka that go GREAT in a good lemonade! :)
And I'm hopeful that someday I get to share in that same dual role with my daughter. She completed my weekend by being her typical happy/giggly self. We ran her to pieces going here and there, and all she wanted at the end of the day was an extra snuggle, an "ock" in the rocking chair and a "ook" (book) before bed. She even clasped her hands when we said our prayers.
However, this mothers day, it was my firstborn (you know, the reason I first BECAME a mother) that brought me to tears. He came bouncing home from school on Thursday night and proclaimed he had an "velope" for me (he always leaves off the "en") and that I couldn't open it until Mother's day. Like I said before - we "ran" all weekend, so the envelope stayed tucked away in Colton's book bag until early Sunday morning. He retrieved his bag from his Dad's truck, and was quick to bring me my envelope. I expected something homemade, but never did I expect to get emotional about it. I'll add a picture as soon as I learn how...but basically, it stated all the things Colton loved about me, and what he appreciated most (me making him food). It said that "My Mom is as pretty .... "as a princess". When I asked him last night at bedtime if he thought Mommy was as pretty as a princess, he replied "Yes, but only when you wear a dress". HA! Welp, there ya have it. Mom's can only be made to feel special for a split second! :) On the back of the questionnaire, it was his little hand prints and a poem about how he won't be little long.
Isn't that the truth. My baby is 4 1/2 years old. My baby baby will be 2 in a few short weeks. My dear friend had a baby just recently, and upon leaving the hospital, I texted Jason..."Ugh, now I've definitely got the baby bug". His response? "Ugh, I definitely don't". Guess we've still got some convincing to do! :)
As for my big baby...he got me a wonderful card about how he may not be smart, but he sure duped me into marrying him, so he can't be that stupid! :) Always the romantic!
I'm thankful to be a mother, and on the days when life hands me lemons...my kids typically make me realize there are wonderful things in this world like tequila and vodka that go GREAT in a good lemonade! :)
Comments
Post a Comment