In a two month time span, we lost two very important people in our lives. Not many posts ago, I'd asked whomever actually still reads this site to please send up prayers. Not only did I feel bad for Joe & Grandma, as they suffered, but my heart ached for my parents as they made the rounds to sit by Joe, and then Grandma's bedsides as their road to Heaven became shorter and shorter.
On December 4, 2009, I lost my second Dad. I'll likely never forget that phone call from my best friend. One I hope to never have to receive again, or make myself for that matter. I'm sure that's inevitible, but I hope that the next time we're both making those calls, it's many moons from now. Stacy and I have endured and shared so much with each other over the years, and I can honestly say that this was one of the toughest things we've ever had to go through. But just like always, we did it together. Our families were there for each other, and through the tears, came out happy memories, and lots of laughs around the good times we were fortunate enough to share with Joe. I had written in a card to Joe, back when we didn't quite realize how serious the cancer coming back was, that not only was he my best friends dad, but he was my dad's best friend, and there aren't many girls/guys out there that can say that. No wonder Stacy and I's friendship has always been so easy....Mom had Kathy, Dad had Joe and I had Stacy......sorry girls, if Mom & Dad had had more girls, rather than the boys, the trend could have continued, but I guess God has a plan. You got the same two brother I did, and I got a bunch of sisters. It all works out in the end. Joe, I know you're up in Heaven, watching down on us, and we'll always do our best to make you proud. Thanks for all the hugs, advice, love and most importantly, the best friend a girl could ask for. She was your baby, and I promise I'll do my best to always be there for her. Having a kid of my own now, I realize just what that first child means to new parents. They are your world....that's for darn sure. Joe, God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy. Thanks so much for all that you were, and all that you always will be to my family. I love you, and miss you.
January 12, 2010, I got another phone call that would forever change who I am as a person. It was Dad calling to say that Grandma Hall had passed away. I always called her my Guardian angel here on earth....and I wholeheartedly believe that to be true. She'd pray the rosary for any of us kids no matter what we were doing, traveling, job interviews, etc. She taught me how to cook and I'm doing my best Gram to plump my family up on your homecooked recipes. More than anything, I think that Grandma taught me the importance of family and giving. She was the most selfless person I've ever met, and she was always doing good for others. We laughed about it at the time, but gosh, looking back, she was baking/cooking/donating money, etc....to people she'd never even met. When she passed, it was a flurry of emotions, because it's hard to be sad and truly mourn the loss of a woman who was nearly 90 years old. She'd been blessed with 9 kids, over 50 years of marriage and over 20 grandkids, not to mention nearly that many great grandkids. She had such a promising name in the community and everyone knew her as Grandma Hall. She shared her love with you, regardless of who you were. Don't get me wrong, I miss Grandma like crazy, but I find peace in knowing two things....a.) she's finally out of that damn nursing home.....she always said, "I just want to go home" and b.) she's with my Grandpa in Heaven. I just know it. Their love could be felt, and I know it's taught and guided so many of us to want to share that same kind of love with our spouse. Grandma, I miss you....I always will, but I will do my best to be like you. To share the love I've been given, to care for others, and to always smile and show love. Thank you for being the best role model/guardian angel a girl could ask for. We are truly blessed to be loved by you!
Other news in the last three months would probably be that we were again blessed by another wonderful Christmas season with family, Colton is happy & healthy and growing like a weed. I can't believe how much he talks now (like it or not....) and how he's becoming such a little grown up. Everything these days is "myself mommy". He is amazing at saying the "our father" with me each night before bed, and always makes it a point to kiss my belly and say "night night baby". He shows love, is outgoing and 98% of the time, is a good kid. After all, he is two now...we can't expect him to be good all of the time can we?
I'll do another post before too much longer with photos, because we did get some cute shots over Christmas, Colton's 2nd birthday and exciting happenings since then. I'm back. I've not forgotten about my blog, just haven't had the chance to update it like I was. I'll do better....but might find a more interesting way to approach the site. It takes too long to write our life story. A few pictures and sentences.................if I can hold myself to that!
Comments
Post a Comment