Tonight, I'm sitting on my front porch, relishing the peace and quiet of the country. I've got my feet propped up in a porch chair and am watching the sunset behind the trees to the west. I hear the occasional movement from the cows as the find a place to rest for the night. Ava's propped up right in front of me, doing her job -- making sure that all in our home are protected and safe.
It's funny -- in the last two years, I haven't taken time to stop and "smell the roses". I haven't taken 15 minutes to sit down, enjoy this view and realize just how much God has blessed us with. Tonight...I'm counting those blessings.
We have two beautiful, happy, (fairly) well behaved, healthy kids. They would rather play outside than watch TV. They love climbing on the mower and being in the barn with their Dad. Going to the creek and fishing for "creek chubs" is an exciting adventure. Eating on the porch or in the back of pick up out in the barn are a real treat.
We have a nice home on a great piece of property. I believe I've said it here before, but I'll say it again. I did NOT want to move out here. I hated the train tracks, the long lane, the shoddy house, the mess of outbuildings that were not well kempt. But...I knew my husband had a plan, and a vision in his heart, and what does love do best -- you trust your better half and know that if they follow their heart, things will work out. (And if they don't, there's always divorce...HA :)) Luckily, the secondary isn't going to be an option for us.
I'm thankful for a husband who works hard all day, everyday to make sure that we are all well cared for. He feeds the calves in the morning, works at his "job" all day, and then he comes home and continues to work hard around our home to continue to make improvements. It's not been a fast process. Or an easy one. And definitely not a CHEAP one. But...as I sit here tonight, under our porch, and I look out over the landscaping, right past where the shoddy old garage used to stand, and down the lane to the new burning bushes we've planted...I realize I've much to be thankful for. Jason has often said there a million and one projects to complete around here and while to most that would be overwhelming, part of me thinks that's what keeps Jason sane. If he didn't have something to piddle with, we probably would be divorced! :)
We are blessed to have an opportunity to raise our kids with animals in their backyard. Colton LOVES going with Dad to feed the calves and soon enough, we'll embark on a pig adventure as we add them to our farm.
Not everyone is this lucky. As I complain about my job I should stop and say how thankful I am to have one. Without our jobs, we wouldn't have this beautiful piece of property, this well kept house, or the animals we love so much. I will say that I'm thankful that I've had the opportunity to take a new position in which I can stop and "smell the roses" more often. I'll be able to hug my kiddos a little tighter. I'll be able to put my phone down and actually pay attention to what they are saying. I'm not gonna know what to do with myself...but something tells me there will be more baked goods, more sewn outfits, more crafts and more organization to my life at home.
We have lots to be thankful for. Right now, in this moment, my greatest blessings are sleeping family members, peace and quiet and a beautiful enough night to sit out here and soak in all the blessings.
Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support. 58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4
What a sweet post. I'm doing a "Summer Blessings" series right now. It's kind of fun to keep track of all that I can sometimes be so oblivious to. You have such a sweet family!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Kim. I don't know how I missed it when you originally posted it, but thank you anyhow for reminding me to not take all these blessings for granted.
ReplyDelete