I know, I still have blogged about Christmas. I will. I promise...but it's so picture heavy & information heavy, it's kind of daunting. And today, I feel nostalgic, so instead of highlighting and event in our lives, I'm going to highlight two events that changed our worlds forever. I just wanted to jot down some memories here, because it's amazing what you forget in the everyday hecticness of "life". So...here goes.
Colton, I will never forget:
... the day you were born. Or should I say the day I went into labor...because technically, you came the next morning. The way the weather went from 70's and sunny, to rain/thunderstorms (in January) to snowing and blizzard/white out....while we were driving to the hospital.
...the way your Dad beamed with pride when holding you for the first time. Even in the haze of having just pushed out a 8lb 12 oz baby boy -- we were both smitten. From the very beginning.
...the way you seemed to do everything early. Rolling over. Teeth. Talking. Memorizing The Lords Prayer by the age of 2. Walking. Running. Riding your bike. You are a smart boy, and don't you ever forget it. That said, you're sometimes too smart for your own good! :)
...how obsessed you are about what you wear. It's not our little girl who is a total fashionista...it's you. And it's not always about being the best dressed, it's about being dressed for the situation. Dusty jeans and dirty boots for the farm. Shorts, jersey & tennis shoes for basketball. Even inside. Dress clothes for church. Play clothes for Pam's. And you are so acute to what everyone else is wearing. If I could only count the times you've said -- "Wait, what's Dad wearing". You admire him so much.
...how outgoing you were, even as a baby. You didn't care who held you, or what they did to you for that matter. Maybe you should have been our third. You were so carefree. I love that about you and thank you, because it made your baby days so much easier on Mom.
...when you started sleeping through the night. You are certainly Mom & Dad's kid, because you love your sleep. From about 8 weeks on (right as I went back to work) you were sleeping through the night. You're nearly 5 and you still take naps (not always willingly, but you always fall asleep) and that allows Mom to catch a few winks too. Now, I'm not thanking you for sleeping in -- you aren't good at that...but at least you sleep. :)
...your little voice. I love watching old home videos were your little voice talks so sweet and kind to us. Your charm and innocence come shining through and I love that. I'll never forget that sweet voice.
...The way you hug me at night, not wanting me to leave your room. It's typically an argument (at least at this point) but I know one day I'll look back and wish I had stayed longer. You won't always want me in your room at night, and I'm thankful that from time to time, you share that cozy bed with me.
...the way you have embraced being a big brother. You love Emmalyn with all your heart and that's so obvious. You protect her. You torture her. You play with her, play along with her, and include her in all you do. You help to teach her new things. You kiss her goodnight, every night. You encourage her. You pester/antagonize her. Most of all, you love her, and I'm beyond thankful for the bond you two have formed. May God always keep you so close.
 |
| Brand new baby Colton - January 30, 2008. 8lb 12oz. |
 |
| Doesn't this say alot -- hunting gear. phone. Grandpa. Dirty face. |
 |
| Beautiful baby blues. |
 |
| I know. By the time you can read, you'll probably HATE me for this picture... |
 |
| Hell sleep about anywhere... |
Emmalyn, I will never forget:
...the day you were born. Sound cliche, I know -- but thankfully, you were a bit more calculated. We spent all Memorial Day weekend waiting on you, and in true Emmalyn fashion, your stubborness shone through, and you made us wait to be induced that Tuesday. I think ultimately, you just knew it'd be easier on Mommy to have a plan for what to do with Colton. More than anything, I remember wanting so badly for you to be a baby girl, but I would NOT get my hopes up, only to have them shattered. Some of the sweetest words I've ever heard...."It's a girl!" -- followed by tears of joy!
...the way you embraced the summer months with us, when you were merely a newborn. In your first few months, you went to Columbian Park, Purdue fountains, Indianapolis Zoo/stayed in a hotel, Stockmentfest Campout in our back yard (at merely a month old!), swimming at Grandma's pool, Uncle Matt & Aunt Sarah's wedding (at 2 weeks old!), county fair visits, and so much more -- all before you were even 3 months old!
...the way you grin. It just melts my heart to see you flash that smile. You are a beautiful little girl and I love that you have those big beautiful brown eyes. I would have never admitted that -- I wanted blue eyed babies...but you do brown well. It's a true indication of your orneriness!
...how patient you have been with your Dad and I. Being the second child isn't easy -- especially when you have a loud, in your face, demanding attention big brother. You've learned to stand your ground and demand your time and I'm so thankful that you are so independent. (Most days. When we're running late, I wish you'd be a bit less independent!)
...the way you love to snuggle. First thing in the morning, that's all you want, is to curl up with Dad or I and take your time waking up. You aren't exactly the morning person your brother is!
...how wonderful of a baby you were. You went willingly here, there and everywhere. You adapted well. You slept well. You ate well. You played well by yourself (and still do, if not better than ever).
...catching upstairs, carrying on conversations with your babies, as if no one were listening. You would rock them (just the same way Pam does) and you would feed them, put them to sleep, sing to them. You will be a wonderful mother some day. But let's make that day a long, LONG time from now, okay? In the meantime, how about you just practice on your new brother or sister?
...watching you watch, crawl, toddle and run after your brother. You look up to him and I'm so thankful for that. You have a great big brother on your hands, something Mommy never had -- so enjoy it. He'll always protect you, and you watch out for him. You're a great pair. Cherish that bond and help it to grow -- I know you will. You sure do love your Bubby.
 |
| Sweet Baby Emmalyn - June 1, 2010. 9lb. 3 oz. |
 |
| Always mimicking your big brother. |
 |
| Never a lady-like eater... |
 |
| Sweet sleepy baby. |
 |
| Smiles! |
The two of you will soon be the three of you, and I'm so thankful for
the time we've had just "the three of us/four of us" and look forward
to the memories that will transpire when we become "the five of us".
That baby is beyond blessed already, because he's got a great big
brother and a wonderful big sister. Thanks for being the most amazing
blessings -- even when I get that "I've had it up to HERE" feeling with
you! :) Love you both!
 |
| First time meeting. |
 |
| Buds from the start. |
 |
| Cheesing! |
 |
| Sweet. |
 |
| Always helpful. |
 |
| Trouble and her double. |
 |
| Farm kids at heart. |
 |
| Goofy. |
 |
| Goofy. |
 |
| Always goofy. |
 |
| Always by each others side. |
Comments
Post a Comment