Skip to main content

Welcome Keaton Bradley!!

Hard to believe that TWO weeks ago today, I was officially off work and beginning my maternity leave. Keaton, if the way you entered this world is any kind of preface to your life story, I can't wait to see what God has up his sleeve for you. Talk about an adventure.

Under Dr. Wickert's suggestion, we decided to induce baby three days shy of my due date. I carried Strep B with both Keaton & Emmalyn, so both were induced, likely for that reason. The doctor wanted to push an antibiotic through my system to help lesson the chances of Keaton getting the virus. So, because he travels to Crawfordsville on Thursdays, he set me up to come in at 3pm. That day, Jason worked a half day, and I took the kids up to Wolcott to Camp Mamps & Paps where they would hang while we were in the hospital. After a fun lunch at Bell's, I came home to meet Jason and by 1:30, we were both in "killing time" mode....until the phone rang. I just knew that something was up. Sure enough, there were "no rooms in the inn"...and they asked us to wait until 5:30 to check in. Well -- there was no way Jason and I were going to sit and stare at each other, waiting to welcome baby #3 for the next 4 1/2 hours...so we set out to Lafayette. What better way to kill time before having a baby than making an impromptu Thursday afternoon date to the movies! :) We hadn't been to the movies in AGES,....so it was actually pretty fun. Keaton, we saw Grown Ups 2 on the day you were born and it was such a great time spending time, just the two of us, before you joined our crazy chaotic family!

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30pm and still....no rooms in the inn was the word we received, but they would put us in a triage room, and start my antibiotic with hopes of moving me down to a L&D room later in the evening. About 6:45, she started my first round of antibiotics and told us they likely wouldn't start the Pitocin until I got into a L&D room. Jason left to grab himself some dinner and I hung out. By 8:30, we were still waiting and our nurse said it would likely be 11-12 before we moved, so go ahead and rest. So Jason cozied up on the couch under a blanket and I found a way (while hooked to all the monitors) to get comfortable. The good news was, I was having contractions on my own, albeit slight, every 4-8 minutes. About 9pm, right as we were both drifting off to sleep, Dr. Wickert slammed the door open and says, "Well, you might as well go home, because it's not going to happen tonight!"....with the charge nurse following close on his heels. I must have had a deer in the headlights look and he proceeds to tell us that he's on call all night, but that he had me scheduled for 3pm, then 5:30, and now it's 9pm, and I'm not in a room/Pitocin hasn't been started and he has to be at IU at 6:30 for a scheduled C-section so if we stay, he might not be the one to deliver my baby. (This was a bit heartbreaking to me, because he had delivered the other two and has been my doctor for quite some time....however, I didn't want to go home at this point.) So, I asked about having already received the antibiotic, contracting on my own, etc, etc -- and he finally said," if they can get you in a room, I can break your water and we can go from there...." After a tense few minutes (and having just been told it'd be midnight before they could get me a room!), I was in a L&D room with my water broke by 9:45pm! We decided (perhaps just to make ourselves feel better) that he got crappy in front of the nurses to motivate them to get me into a room. Little did we know how fast and what a blur the next 3 hours would be!

 About 11:00, Dr. Wickert placed orders to start Pitocin, and by midnight I was asking for an epidural. I hated to rush it, but contractions were coming hard & fast. It took nearly 3 tries for the Anesthesiologist to place the epidural and my contractions were intense while she was doing it. by 12:20, I finally started to feel it beginning to work and found some relief. By this time, I could BARELY keep my eyes open...and the nurse told me that I was 5 cm, and by textbook, you change about 1 cm/hour. So, she told us to rest. If I started feeling full pressure, to let her know, but she'd be back in a few hours to check my progress. That was at 12:30. At 12:40.....I was telling Jason to call the nurse because all I could tell was that I needed to push, and wanted to push RIGHT NOW. (again, he'd JUST gotten all cozy in a blanket and ready to nap! Poor guy!) I'm yelling at him to get the nurse, he's asking where the remote/call button are....he's dancing around to try to get into his shoes.....and finally, he gets her. By 12:45, the nurse is back in the room and I'm a full 10cm and ready to push! Doc rushes in (he's looking like he just rolled out of bed too!) and by 12:59 Baby Keaton Bradley Stockment joined our family. I was in complete shock of what had just happened. And then they lifted our baby boy up, and announced that he was 7lb 9oz and I was just sure the drugs were making me loopy and they meant 9lb 7oz, because Colton was 8lb 12oz and Emmalyn a whopping 9lb 3oz.............there's no way my third could be my smallest!! Sure enough, he was! I believe Doc Wickert said -- "Wow, you just had a normal delivery! Let's face it, you're other two weren't normal, they were big!" HA :)  Of course, now we were no longer tired. Full of energy we cherished those first few hours with our new baby boy. And continued to laugh at the sequence of events from the day -- a movie, continued delays and then WHAMMO....a BABY!! :) Keaton - what a grand debut!!

A few pictures from Labor & Delivery day.
Anticipation is the hardest part....

Jason preparing for his long night ahead....in the triage room.

Keaton Bradley Stockment - 12:59am on July 26, 2013.
7lb 9oz, 21 inches long

One happy Momma!

One loving Dad.

 So we got about 4 hours of rest -- and then we introduced Keaton to his family. What a lucky guy to have such a loving big brother/sister & grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles!
Colton & Emmalyn meeting baby Keaton for the first time!

Colton is an AMAZING big brother. So protective!

Emmalyn loves being a big sissy!
Grandma Jacki, Grandpa Brad & Great Grandma Pat say hello!

Grandma Mandy with Keaton
Aunt Jess, Meredith & Madi. Meredith was in awe...Madi just told us she loves Penguins & Dolphins! :)

Uncle Trent isn't sure he likes him this small!

Uncle Jacob's got the hang of this by now...been doing it since he was 12!

Harry was a fan, as were Aunt Sarah & Uncle Matt
Our family feels so complete -- we love you Baby Keaton!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Two + Two + One more = FIVE

Yup, you read that right, by the end of July, the Stockment's will officially be a family of five. Jason and I learned in mid-November that we were expecting our third child and we were both overjoyed with the news. (More so than I thought Jason would be -- he wasn't convinced on having another (or should I say, not as convinced as I was), but once he saw that baby's heartbeating on the monitor at the docs office, he couldn't keep it a secret anymore!!) I convinced Jason to keep our news to immediate family, however, failed to remember that we have a VERY chatty 4 year old, and a 2 year old who repeats everything her big bro says! :) So, we told our families on a Tuesday evening (after our doc appointment that afternoon) and by Thursday, I think half of White County knew. If you attend or drop children off to attend Pam's daycare or Bright Beginnings Preschool, you were amongst the first to know! I had hoped for some elaborate scheme to tell both of our parents ...

Life's Beachy

What a whirlwind month March has been! From the baby reveal to birthday parties (Madi turning 3, Sawyer turning 2 and soon Brad & Debbie!), to Jason working weekend after weekend at his side job, to moving Matt & Sarah into their new home, to Jason getting a new job, to kindergarten round up, to preparing for Florida....whew! Yup, you read that right -- after 14 years with Bouma Betten, Jason is making a jump. He applied for a job with Monsanto in Remington, and was lucky enough to be offered the job just last week. I am so beyond proud of him -- he's not a resume/interview kind of guy, but he put his best foot forward and proved what a hard worker he is. He'll start there as a Seed Tech in mid-April and although it will mean big changes for him (and US!), it will be worth it. The benefits cannot be topped...vacation time, paid time off for sick leave, 401K, health -- all things he didn't have (or did have, but not great) in his current job. It will certainly be a...