We knew the day we got your team emails for baseball and softball that this was going to be a fun summer. Emmalyn, you had a great group of young girls and two very patient coaches to help guide you along. Colton, you had SIX coaches, which at first, I thought was overkill, but then I considered how much individual time you kids would get, and how much you could grow your game. A game you love, and are so blessed to have natural talent at. Both of you do, really. (Thanks, Jason. You're carrying the torch on that one. I'll help them nail the speeches and stuff...)
Emmalyn, let's chat you first, since as I write this -- your season is over. We'll get to THAT, in the next post. Let's just suffice to say, it wasn't by choice, but you're being a champ about the whole situation. You came into softball fresh out of the t-ball league and you embraced the opportunity to learn the game. You tried hard and weren't afraid to put yourself in awkward situations. You played short stop, first base, pitcher and your favorite -- catcher. (Minus the two times you pee'd your pants because you didn't want to get out of your catchers gear and slow the game down. You told me it was a little bit. Girl, you're a bad judge of amounts. I'll chalk it up to taking one for the team. Two, actually. THANK GOD for black shorts. I'd almost nearly forgotten about that, but um, ya....I still remember. And I hope my talk about WE DON'T DO THAT ON PURPOSE sticks with you. God bless your sweet heart!! HAHA) You gave it your all each at bat and had some great hits this season. You really did do an awesome job, and I can't wait to watch you grow in the game. From losing your entire batting bag at the beginning of the season, to sauntering back to catch a passed ball, to whacking that bat....it's been a fun/eventful first year of softball. We are so proud of you, kiddo!
And last but not least....Keaton. Oh wait, you're not playing this season. Except, in your mind you are. You have been the ULTIMATE little brother. You've tagged along to many a "5-nights-a-week" at the ballpark and have been FAIRLY well behaved. I mean, let's be honest -- you're downright rotten sometimes ...but for the most part -- you've played ball, tractors, or run around with Emma and the girls to keep yourself buys. Sometimes you and Jase and Maison try to mimic your big brothers on the field too. Most of all -- I've loved watching your imagination soar. You're on the "green team" in your head and you ALWAYS ask to dress the part. Baseball pants and cleats. Thanks for being such a good sport, bub....we can't wait to watch you play for real!
*don't mind the fact that I look like a GIRAFFE compared to my friends! HA I never realized they were all so SHORT!
Emmalyn, let's chat you first, since as I write this -- your season is over. We'll get to THAT, in the next post. Let's just suffice to say, it wasn't by choice, but you're being a champ about the whole situation. You came into softball fresh out of the t-ball league and you embraced the opportunity to learn the game. You tried hard and weren't afraid to put yourself in awkward situations. You played short stop, first base, pitcher and your favorite -- catcher. (Minus the two times you pee'd your pants because you didn't want to get out of your catchers gear and slow the game down. You told me it was a little bit. Girl, you're a bad judge of amounts. I'll chalk it up to taking one for the team. Two, actually. THANK GOD for black shorts. I'd almost nearly forgotten about that, but um, ya....I still remember. And I hope my talk about WE DON'T DO THAT ON PURPOSE sticks with you. God bless your sweet heart!! HAHA) You gave it your all each at bat and had some great hits this season. You really did do an awesome job, and I can't wait to watch you grow in the game. From losing your entire batting bag at the beginning of the season, to sauntering back to catch a passed ball, to whacking that bat....it's been a fun/eventful first year of softball. We are so proud of you, kiddo!
Now to Colton -- when we realized that 3/4 of your team this year, was your all-star team from last year -- we got excited. Yes, there's a lot of talent there -- but more than that -- there are great kids. Kids who have fun together. Kids who just mesh well. Not a lot of competition, or I'm better than you, or fighting for positions -- kids who just do what the coaches tell them and get the job done. And THAT combination makes for fun baseball. And what a season it's been. You're currently 13-3, heading into End of Season tournament weekend. You've pitched, you've caught, you've played outfield and third. Your nitch seems to be third base, and WHALING that ball across to Brody or Blake at 1st. There is NO DENYING you've got an arm full of strength. I believe we've even caught you by-passing your cut off man from the outfield wall to get the ball where you intend it to go. While that rocket is pretty awesome -- it's also been something you've learned this season how to control. Brute strength comes naturally (and by naturally, I mean, you are a hard worker constantly lifting 50lb feed bags or pulling around a 1200lb steer.......you've earned every bit of that brute strength. #farmboywin) and you've learned how to harness your power. When you first tried pitching, Coach Brummett teased you and called you Wild Thing from Major League. This gave us all a pretty good chuckle....but as the season has progressed -- you've learned how to throw strikes, not by throwing hard because that happens anyway -- but by throwing steadily. We are proud of your growth and when a coach tells you as a parent that your son is fun to coach because they can tell you are working hard to do what they ask of you -- we blush with pride. Keep it up kiddo, you are sure fun to watch (and yell for) on that ball diamond!
And last but not least....Keaton. Oh wait, you're not playing this season. Except, in your mind you are. You have been the ULTIMATE little brother. You've tagged along to many a "5-nights-a-week" at the ballpark and have been FAIRLY well behaved. I mean, let's be honest -- you're downright rotten sometimes ...but for the most part -- you've played ball, tractors, or run around with Emma and the girls to keep yourself buys. Sometimes you and Jase and Maison try to mimic your big brothers on the field too. Most of all -- I've loved watching your imagination soar. You're on the "green team" in your head and you ALWAYS ask to dress the part. Baseball pants and cleats. Thanks for being such a good sport, bub....we can't wait to watch you play for real!
Lastly -- I can't write a post about this season without mentioning the families we've shared it with. When they say it takes a village to raise your kids, they aren't kidding. Shared rides. You take her, I'll take him. I can watch Keaton, it's not a big deal. These words/offers/gestures are INVALUABLE. We've shared MANY a night (and snack, Gatorade and chairs) at the ballparks together and I couldn't have asked for a more fun group of parents. The kids love it, and so do we. #2017momsquad #sistersquad
*don't mind the fact that I look like a GIRAFFE compared to my friends! HA I never realized they were all so SHORT!
Comments
Post a Comment