So, I'm reading an author who's written a book about storytelling. About how a story and emotion can help you make a connection with the listener, and hopefully - in this use case - a buyer. However, on her blog today - she mentioned something interesting. Write it down. So, that's what I'm going to - as I am home for what feels like the 90millionth day -- because of a sickness that started in Wuhan China, in December, and has slowly crept around the globe, landing here in the US in the last month or so. Coronavirus -- a name that in December was comical and worth "cheers"-ing too. However, things changed quite quickly. What is Coronavirus? The CDC says: The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
So, here I am in the midst of the strangest time I've ever lived in - writing it down. I remember 9/11 - I was a college Freshman, and honestly, when it all happened - it didn't register to me. I was in an english class, and I remember we were released early and spent the rest of the day glued to the television for news -- but I also found myself wondering, "What are the twin towers?". I'd never been to NYC.....it didn't really connect until I got the bigger picture. I'm sure there are other things that happened, perhaps when I was younger that I was just oblivious to (the day the challenger shuttle mishap went down -- I was 4, I have no memory of it. But I know my Mom always equates that to the day my grandpa passed away).
This time - I'm raising kids in this mess. And honestly, our lives are always messy, so this shouldn't feel new....but it does. Let's back up a bit. Late January/Febrauryish I came across a job posting that interested me, so I emailed about -- and as luck would have it, I got the job. I was set to leave Purdue after 13 years for a job with Hoosier Ag Today, starting April 1st. A job where I'll work from home, and have more freedoms, and be actually working back in the agriculture industry which makes my heart double over. The kids would be at school, but I could go in and volunteer my time more often or sneak into town for lunch. I could pick them up and drop them off, and actually BE HERE when we needed to rush out for games and practices and the chaos that normally comes with Spring in the Stockment house. Being the smarty pants I am, I strategically set my last day at Purdue for March 17th (I mean, duh, Green Beers to celebrate....heck yes!), giving myself 3 days alone, while the kids were in school to just kind of be me. To clean, pack for our Spring Break getaway to Gatlinburg, and just slowly enjoy this transition.
And then shit hit the fan. Colleges started stating that they would perhaps move to online only course delivery post-Spring break for college students. Which, as an employee of Purdue online meant CHAOS. This of course was weird, but given how many students congregate and co-habitate on campus, it made sense to go online. Add in that during my last full week at Purdue, Keaton was sick one day, then Emmalyn for three, then me for two. So basically, I was at work on Monday of my last full week. That Friday, March 13th (YES, FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH) wound up being the kids last day of school, as they were instructed by the Governor to go to elearning model for a few weeks as this sickness became more serious. (There went my three days of peace.) The closing of schools was quickly followed by the move to shut down restaurants and bars to a drive through/delivery option only. NBA games were cancelled. The NCAA March Madness Tournament was cancelled. Spring NCAA sports were cancelled. It was just BIZARRE. Then Jason got insanely sick with a bad cold just as this thing really took off in the media and naturally Grandma Jacki was a nervous wreck and wanted him to be tested. He was but the doctor really believed since he was coughing up stuff, he was fine. Thankfully - it was just a case of bronchitis and some strong antibiotics knocked it out of the park. By Friday of that week we'd decided it best to skip Gatlinburg (SAD decision, the kids were heartbroken!) but with so many things closing, it seemed like the right thing to do. That was on March 20th. Today, it's April 3rd, my birthday.
We're under a "stay at home" order -- or Hunker Down Hoosiers.....(eye roll) by the Governor. No gatherings of more than 10 people. Must maintain 6 ft social distances. Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. My Dad is a nervous wreck and absorbing FAR too much news. Jason and I fall somewhere between "don't really believe it/doesn't relate to me (see 9/11 above) and "this is kind of serious". Just yesterday, the Governor announced that the kids would not return to school on May 1, as originaally planned, but will now e-learn until the end of the school year and classes will hopefully resume as normal in the fall. Baseball/softball are on hold. IHSAA cancelled Spring Sports all together. I feel SO horrible for the seniors -- no prom, no spring sports, no graduation (most likely) in the normal sense of things. Their whole 12 years abruptly ended on MArch 13th when we all though after riding this out a few days, we'd return to normal. I can't imagine how those kids or parents must feel. I know I'm heartbroken that Keaton won't have Kindergarten Graduation or that Colton won't get his "final walk" from 6th grade as he passes into Middle School. All selfish things, I know -- people are dying daily from this disease adn I know it's serious. I also don't connect because we're in the country. We are socially isolated all the time, because of our physical address. Granted, it's been nice ot not be on the run to practices here and there, adn I'm thankful that I left Purdue and am working from home anyway now -- because it'll be helpful when the kids are elearning. Or obnoxious, I don't really know. Either way -- this is a strange time we're living in. I'll drop a few photos of the bizarre headlines below and then will also drop in something someone else posted on FB that captures this oddness.
Thankfully, my faith is strong. My family has our health. And we can work the cows and play outside often as it warms up. Must count all our blessings, even the little ones in times like these. Kids, not sure what you'll remember about Corona virus but I hope this somehow sparks some memories. Or, if you're lucky -- you won't remember a thing and it'll be a blip in your past.
Love you kiddos!
COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in many affected geographic areas. Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.
So, here I am in the midst of the strangest time I've ever lived in - writing it down. I remember 9/11 - I was a college Freshman, and honestly, when it all happened - it didn't register to me. I was in an english class, and I remember we were released early and spent the rest of the day glued to the television for news -- but I also found myself wondering, "What are the twin towers?". I'd never been to NYC.....it didn't really connect until I got the bigger picture. I'm sure there are other things that happened, perhaps when I was younger that I was just oblivious to (the day the challenger shuttle mishap went down -- I was 4, I have no memory of it. But I know my Mom always equates that to the day my grandpa passed away).
This time - I'm raising kids in this mess. And honestly, our lives are always messy, so this shouldn't feel new....but it does. Let's back up a bit. Late January/Febrauryish I came across a job posting that interested me, so I emailed about -- and as luck would have it, I got the job. I was set to leave Purdue after 13 years for a job with Hoosier Ag Today, starting April 1st. A job where I'll work from home, and have more freedoms, and be actually working back in the agriculture industry which makes my heart double over. The kids would be at school, but I could go in and volunteer my time more often or sneak into town for lunch. I could pick them up and drop them off, and actually BE HERE when we needed to rush out for games and practices and the chaos that normally comes with Spring in the Stockment house. Being the smarty pants I am, I strategically set my last day at Purdue for March 17th (I mean, duh, Green Beers to celebrate....heck yes!), giving myself 3 days alone, while the kids were in school to just kind of be me. To clean, pack for our Spring Break getaway to Gatlinburg, and just slowly enjoy this transition.
And then shit hit the fan. Colleges started stating that they would perhaps move to online only course delivery post-Spring break for college students. Which, as an employee of Purdue online meant CHAOS. This of course was weird, but given how many students congregate and co-habitate on campus, it made sense to go online. Add in that during my last full week at Purdue, Keaton was sick one day, then Emmalyn for three, then me for two. So basically, I was at work on Monday of my last full week. That Friday, March 13th (YES, FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH) wound up being the kids last day of school, as they were instructed by the Governor to go to elearning model for a few weeks as this sickness became more serious. (There went my three days of peace.) The closing of schools was quickly followed by the move to shut down restaurants and bars to a drive through/delivery option only. NBA games were cancelled. The NCAA March Madness Tournament was cancelled. Spring NCAA sports were cancelled. It was just BIZARRE. Then Jason got insanely sick with a bad cold just as this thing really took off in the media and naturally Grandma Jacki was a nervous wreck and wanted him to be tested. He was but the doctor really believed since he was coughing up stuff, he was fine. Thankfully - it was just a case of bronchitis and some strong antibiotics knocked it out of the park. By Friday of that week we'd decided it best to skip Gatlinburg (SAD decision, the kids were heartbroken!) but with so many things closing, it seemed like the right thing to do. That was on March 20th. Today, it's April 3rd, my birthday.
We're under a "stay at home" order -- or Hunker Down Hoosiers.....(eye roll) by the Governor. No gatherings of more than 10 people. Must maintain 6 ft social distances. Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. My Dad is a nervous wreck and absorbing FAR too much news. Jason and I fall somewhere between "don't really believe it/doesn't relate to me (see 9/11 above) and "this is kind of serious". Just yesterday, the Governor announced that the kids would not return to school on May 1, as originaally planned, but will now e-learn until the end of the school year and classes will hopefully resume as normal in the fall. Baseball/softball are on hold. IHSAA cancelled Spring Sports all together. I feel SO horrible for the seniors -- no prom, no spring sports, no graduation (most likely) in the normal sense of things. Their whole 12 years abruptly ended on MArch 13th when we all though after riding this out a few days, we'd return to normal. I can't imagine how those kids or parents must feel. I know I'm heartbroken that Keaton won't have Kindergarten Graduation or that Colton won't get his "final walk" from 6th grade as he passes into Middle School. All selfish things, I know -- people are dying daily from this disease adn I know it's serious. I also don't connect because we're in the country. We are socially isolated all the time, because of our physical address. Granted, it's been nice ot not be on the run to practices here and there, adn I'm thankful that I left Purdue and am working from home anyway now -- because it'll be helpful when the kids are elearning. Or obnoxious, I don't really know. Either way -- this is a strange time we're living in. I'll drop a few photos of the bizarre headlines below and then will also drop in something someone else posted on FB that captures this oddness.
Thankfully, my faith is strong. My family has our health. And we can work the cows and play outside often as it warms up. Must count all our blessings, even the little ones in times like these. Kids, not sure what you'll remember about Corona virus but I hope this somehow sparks some memories. Or, if you're lucky -- you won't remember a thing and it'll be a blip in your past.
Love you kiddos!
Just so I NEVER forget..... April 2, 2020
-Gas price a mile from home was $1.60
-School cancelled - yes cancelled (students left March 13 and wouldn’t return)
-Self-distancing measures on the rise.
-Tape on the floors at grocery stores and others to help distance shoppers (6ft) from each other.
-Limited number of people inside stores, therefore, lineups outside the store doors.
-Non-essential stores and businesses mandated closed.
-Parks, trails, entire cities locked up.
-Entire sports seasons cancelled.
-Concerts, tours, festivals, entertainment events - cancelled.
-Weddings, family celebrations, holiday gatherings - cancelled.
-No masses, churches are closed.
-No gatherings of 50 or more, then 20 or more, now no gatherings of 5 or more.
-Don't socialize with anyone outside of your home.
-Children's outdoor play parks are closed.
-We are to distance from each other.
-Shortage of masks, gowns, gloves for our front-line workers.
-Shortage of ventilators for the critically ill.
-Panic buying sets in and we have no toilet paper, no disinfecting supplies, no paper towel no laundry soap, no hand sanitizer.
-Shelves are bare.
-Manufacturers, distilleries and other businesses switch their lines to help make visors, masks, hand sanitizer and PPE.
-Government closes the border to all non-essential travel.
-Fines are established for breaking the rules.
-Stadiums and recreation facilities open up for the overflow of Covid-19 patients.
-Press conferences daily from the President. -Daily updates on new cases, recoveries, and deaths.
-Government incentives to stay home.
-Barely anyone on the roads.
-People wearing masks and gloves outside.
-Essential service workers are terrified to go to work.
-Medical field workers are afraid to go home to their families.
This is the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic, declared March 11th, 2020.
Why, you ask, do I write this status?
One day it will show up in my memory feed, and it will be a yearly reminder that life is precious and not to take the things we dearly love for granted.
We have so much!
Be thankful. Be grateful.
Be kind to each other - love one another - support everyone.
We are all one!
Comments
Post a Comment