Skip to main content

My life. In bullet points...

Life has been extremely nuts lately. Remember back in June, when I hated my job because there was so much crap going on. It was like conference on top of conference...I think I've gone back in time, because the last three weeks (ending this coming Tuesday) have just been outrageous. But, I'm not going to focus on work -- afterall, what fun would that be. Let's focus on the other fun things going on in my life right now. A bullet point list if you will...
  • Colton is crawling. I know I've mentioned this before, but holy crap -- the kid can get around. It's like I'm constantly chasing him, keeping him out of things that might hurt him, or simply, within eyesight of wherever I am working/hanging out. Jason's big thing lately has been to get Colton out of bed when we do in the morning, which is all great and good for him, because he can play a little, then hand him over to me, and run out the door. In the mean time, while I'm doing things to help get Jason out the door...I've not yet gotten myself through the shower. Now, before, when Colton was immobile, this was no problem. He could sit and play at his barnyard while I was showering, and I felt assured that he wouldn't go anywhere. Ugh...can't do that these days. So, after Dad happily skips out the door...I'm the jerk who has to restrict Colton the bouncy thing he's no longer interested in, because why...it immobilizes him long enough for me to get a shower. So, now I get to take a nice relaxing shower to the sound of a screaming, pissed off baby...while Dad sips his coffee and enjoys his ride to work. But hey, at least he gets to play with him a bit in the morning....really. The other thing about Colton crawling, would be my Dad. I swear, since Colton's been born, my Dad has suddenly become a Doctor. EVERY time we see him, he reminds me that Colton's "rattling" (yes, I know...they think it might be baby asthma, and the doctor is probably sick of me bringing him in about it...we do the inhaler each day per doctors orders, and that really sucks. We're paying attention to it, but kind of riding it out too). Anyway...the other night, Dad comes home with Colton (they'd taken him to visit Great Grandma Hall) and asks me if there is something wrong with him, because he crawls with his right foot only. I'm a new Mom...I have NO IDEA how babies are suppose to develop and what's right or wrong, but I just assumed that that's how he's figured out to make himself go forward, and it's working for him, so no big deal. And he doesn't do it ALL the time....but apparently, that's all he did that night with Dad around. So, what's Dad say..."probably better ask the doctor about that". I swear, it's hilarious because Mom just rolls her eyes, like, "Your own kids did that too, but you were never concerned, nor did you even notice that they were crawling that way." -- that's my Dad, always looking out for his Grandson.
  • We have mice in our house. We had this problem last year, except then, it was a little more okay, because a.) we weren't living there, and b.) the floor to the laundry room was tore out, so they had like, an open door to come inside. Regardless, we have them in our house again, and I pretty much can't stand the thought of the little things, especially since they are on my TABLE and COUNTERTOPS! What a gross place for these sneaky little creeps to come to. Regardless...my mother came out in me last week when I opened up every sticky pad mouse trap we had in the cupboard, and put them right where I thought the little creatures were coming in from. The next morning, I groggily came down the stairs, and started to settle into the chair to watch some of the news and wake up (my morning routine if I actually get out of bed before everyone else...), when I remembered my "game" going on in the kitchen. So, I walked into the kitchen to find to my delight...1 dead mouse, exactly in the place where I thought he might be. Kim, 1 - Mouse, 0. I rearranged my traps, and hoped to catch any other little snot that tried to enter through the same place (the vents to our cook stove on the countertop). When I woke up on Tuesday morning, as I sat down to watch the news, I heard something knock over in the kitchen, and I started to get mad, thinking that little mouse heard me, and was on his get away...but muahahaha...much to my delight, he was half stuck on the pad, half trying to get away. Kim, 2 - Mouse, 0. Mom, now I understand why you have so much fun trying to catch them. It's a real victory when I get to run upstairs and wake Jason from his sleep, to tell him he has another mouse to take out to the trash!! (What, like I'm actually going to touch the things...I've not gotten that use to them!)
  • We have both been extremely tired yesterday. In fact, I think we've gotten to bed by at least 9:30pm every night. I've been putting in long days, and Jason's days have been extremely jam packed. He's even been picking Colton up for me most of this week, because I was home late each evening. After I got home on Tuesday night, and took Colton in to eat...this is what I found --

You know when you just get so tired that you just want to lay your head back for a minute ... I think honestly that's what this started out as, but it lasted a good 45 minutes this way! Poor guy! That doesn't even look comfortable!
  • Since Jason's been in charge so much lately...playing Mr. Mom if you will (I think it's great...he's getting an honest taste of what I do on a daily basis...and I think he's more appreciative!) Regardless...he's complained to me about daily about what I've boughten Colton to eat, because it's so messy. And honestly, it's not that I've boughten anything crazy, it's more that baby food is just messy. It stains their mouth and surrounding areas something awful -- even if it's just chicken & noodle dinner -- what's with the orange/yellow tint to everything?  I will say that I'm very thankful to my cousin Stacy, who after three children, got me this awesome shower gift. I'll admit, when I saw it, I was like..."well, that's dorky" but honestly, it's a GREAT idea. It'll be even more great when Colton starts feeding himself. See the bib below -- yeah, the bib -- it looks like a shirt doesn't it. GENIUS!  And, notice hte mess on my childs face when you take a picture mid-meal these days...

Yes, he's yelling at me to stop taking pictures, and feed him more food. He loves his lasagna & meat sauce meals!
And, what would be a Mr. Mom story without telling the tales of bathtime -- Jason gets such a kick out of that. Colton loves to sit up and play, but after you actually wash him, he's near impossible to keep sitting up -- his little butt just gets too slippery. So, we usually lay him back in the water, and of course, he loves to then splash and make a killer mess! Anyway...this is how I found him the other night mid-bath with Dad in charge...and Colton seemed to be pretty cool with it.

Not sure what the washrag on the head was all about -- but Colton didn't care. He just wanted to chew on the ducky!
  • It's fall...and I love this time of year. Cubs, Colts & Boilers -- all playing at the same time. Although, quite honestly, the Colts are just doing so so, they need to get back in the swing of things -- Boilers, they've just been playing so no name teams, so we'll see what this weekend brings with Notre Dame, and last but certainly not least, the Cubs are totally rockin' this year. It's our year...that's for sure. GO CUBS GO!
That's all...it's Friday, 2pm...and I'm so ready to bail. Hopefully I'll come back next week with some substance...you know, pictures of the baby, more fun stories, etc. Sorry, it's been busy. That's just life right now! Have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

Central Indiana Winter Spectacular

 We kicked off show season with this set of calves in mid-January at the Central Indiana Winter Spectacular, a first time show down in Cloverdale, Indiana. I'm not sure what was more fun - being with our kids and friends at a cattle show, or listening to our kids meddle over the thought of staying in a Motel 6.  (Backstory on this one -- when I worked at Purdue/in the Conference division, I held a few conference at The Hyatt in downtown Indianapolis. When I had events there, I'd earn points. We then would use those points for free night stays....I think I had maybe 15 or so over the years. So, the only hotel my kids know, is a Hyatt, because unbeknownst to them, it was FREE.....which is the ONLY reason we stayed in such a nice place with young kids. So, imagine their dismay when the Motel 6 in Cloverdale didn't have an Eagles Nest rotating up top, or an indoor pool and hot tub/workout area. We have officially raised hotel snobs.....because when we finally took them to the k...