Skip to main content

Elf Tales

  We are loving our elf on the shelf experience this year. I've decided the kids are at a SUPER age to really enjoy Christmas this year. Colton is finally starting to "get it" and Emmalyn, well, she does whatever big brother does -- so we're all set.

  I'll do another blog post soon chronicling our trip to French Lick and the Railways for our Polar Express adventure. However, because Kid had already joined our family, how was I going to explain him not going with us all weekend? What if Grant & Gwen had an elf?

  Well, I did my homework and decided to take our elf with us -- unbeknownst to the kids! So, after a fun Christmas-awe-inspiring evening Friday, the kids dozed off to sleep and I gently placed Kid high up on a shelf (I didn't want to taunt the kids and tempt them to touch him...which is a major no-no with Santa's elves!). Colton woke up early on Saturday and couldn't believe the Kid was there. "How did he know we were here?" -- to which I quickly explained that Santa likely told Kid we were traveling and gave him Grant's address. That sufficed and luckily, Kid prompted good behavior all day Saturday.

  Now - I snuck him down, but how would I ever get Kid BACK to Brookston? Lisa had the bright idea to place him the car, to keep an eye on the kids for the long (4 hour) drive home Sunday. Brilliant. So, Saturday evening I placed kid under the mirror above my front passenger seat of the car. We said our goodbyes from a fun weekend, and loaded into the car. Immediately, Emmalyn points -- "dat boy!!", and Colton says, so innocently, "Kid! How'd you even get in here?" -- so Jason and I explained how he likely got in, etc and that they better behave on the ride home, Kid was watching!

  About half way home, Jason was reminding dear, tired, antsy Colton that kid was watching and kind of reached up and tapped Kid on the forehead while reminding him. Immediately, "DAD!!!! You can't touch him, he'll lose his magic!!"  And Jason shoots me a look across the front seat like, "oh crap...now what?". Well, thankfully, pinterest to the rescue, I had see last week where someone created "magic dust" with baby powder and glitter and dusting a little on their elf helped restore his magic and his ability to fly back to Santa each evening with his report! So, I talked about how we ought to hope that Kid doesn't lose his magic, but if he does, maybe we can doctor him back if Mommy can find some magic dust, etc, etc, etc. Jason also helped band-aid the situation by adding that he was probably getting coal in his stocking. If you know Colton, you know he asked 100 questions about coal ,and when the conversation was over, we equated coal to charcoal lumps.

  Fast forward to Monday morning. Kid strategically placed himself (;)) on the front door wreath hanger, between the storm door & the front door. As I'm getting ready, I hear Colton putting on his shoes. I asked what he was doing and he said, "I'm going out to the van to check on Kid. Hopefully he didn't lose his magic or Daddy's in trouble!". (This means Colton opened the front door and walked right past Kid, to check the van. And right back past him when he came back in to announce...) "Mom. Dad's getting charcoal. Kid's gone". I encouraged both kids to scour the house, but when they just couldn't find him, they were sure he'd gone back to Santa for good all because Dad had touched him. I even asked Colton to shut the front door -- he was letting the heat out. (HUGE CLUE.....but NOTHING!!!).  Colton called Jason and in the saddest, most disappointed voice announced, "Well, I guess you're getting charcoal for Christmas. Kid's gone". Jason (playing along) apologized and told him maybe he was just resting in Santaland and would be back tomorrow.

  Finally, we got our coats on to leave, and as I opened the front door, Emmalyn looked up at the metal Santa I have hanging there, and said, "Danta and DAT BOY!!!" -- Colton darted around and when, "Ugh, KID!" We laughed that he must have walked right past him and Colton demanded my phone to call Jason and tell him, "Guess you're not getting charcoal, Kids on the front door. He'll watch you when you pull in the driveway tonight, Dad".


We are LOVING the magic of Christmas!  It's going to be such a fun time this year!!

Comments

  1. hahaha...those are great Elf stories! Glad you guys are having such a magical Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Two + Two + One more = FIVE

Yup, you read that right, by the end of July, the Stockment's will officially be a family of five. Jason and I learned in mid-November that we were expecting our third child and we were both overjoyed with the news. (More so than I thought Jason would be -- he wasn't convinced on having another (or should I say, not as convinced as I was), but once he saw that baby's heartbeating on the monitor at the docs office, he couldn't keep it a secret anymore!!) I convinced Jason to keep our news to immediate family, however, failed to remember that we have a VERY chatty 4 year old, and a 2 year old who repeats everything her big bro says! :) So, we told our families on a Tuesday evening (after our doc appointment that afternoon) and by Thursday, I think half of White County knew. If you attend or drop children off to attend Pam's daycare or Bright Beginnings Preschool, you were amongst the first to know! I had hoped for some elaborate scheme to tell both of our parents ...

Life's Beachy

What a whirlwind month March has been! From the baby reveal to birthday parties (Madi turning 3, Sawyer turning 2 and soon Brad & Debbie!), to Jason working weekend after weekend at his side job, to moving Matt & Sarah into their new home, to Jason getting a new job, to kindergarten round up, to preparing for Florida....whew! Yup, you read that right -- after 14 years with Bouma Betten, Jason is making a jump. He applied for a job with Monsanto in Remington, and was lucky enough to be offered the job just last week. I am so beyond proud of him -- he's not a resume/interview kind of guy, but he put his best foot forward and proved what a hard worker he is. He'll start there as a Seed Tech in mid-April and although it will mean big changes for him (and US!), it will be worth it. The benefits cannot be topped...vacation time, paid time off for sick leave, 401K, health -- all things he didn't have (or did have, but not great) in his current job. It will certainly be a...