This spring, a friend of mine was posting a few videos here and there of her daughter taking swim lessons in a private home pool. It was amazing to see this little 5 year old turn into a fish! Knowing that our kids typically (you know, in summers where it's not 68 degrees on July 1st) spend a lot of time in Grandma & Grandpa's pool in the summer time -- I thought swim lessons would be a good investment. Initially I looked into taking them to TC to the school pool for lessons. I'm sure they would have learned alot, but that would have meant me taking off two weeks of work (mornings only) and having to get my 8 1/2 months pregnant body into the pool (in front of people, no less) to complete Em's lessons.
The more I talked to Amanda about the private lessons, the more the convenience of them grew on me. I could go after work. Kids would get one on one attention. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but really, when learning water safety, is there really a price? Not with the pool, creek/water holes in our backyard and opportunities we take to go to the beach/pond/lakes. And Amanda talked about how this places number one goal is WATER SAFETY. I was sold.
Let me just say -- if I thought I was sold before the lessons, I'm probably going to be a big fat cheerleader for Holly and the good work she does post lessons. The kids have been going once a week for a little over a month now, and I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful they are doing. Last night was a "breakthrough" night for both kids, according to Holly, and we're now nearing the end of the lessons, and I'm kind of sad about it. Holly is so wonderful with the kids, so patient, kind & encouraging. And get this -- my kids actually LISTEN to her. It's amazing. Here are a few videos to chart their progress. If you're reading this, wondering if you should get your kids swim lessons -- my answer is without a doubt. Money well spent. And do I have a recommendation for where to take them? You bet I do -- Simply Serenity Swim & Spa in Monticello. You will NOT be disappointed!
Colton's progression from one of his first sessions to last nights session. The kid is doing AWESOME! We have to continue to work on his floating (when Holly moves her hand away, his butt instantly drops -- gotta keep that butt up!), and his breathing -- brave little dude thinks/knows he can basically swim the length of her little pool in one breath, but he can't do that everywhere, so he's got to learn to come up, grab some air, and back under for more! So close! He's doing so great!
Here's Em's showcase:
I'm so proud of Emmalyn. She's coming along so nicely, and is quite brave! In fact, at one point last night, she was boucing around the edging on the side, and fell down into the deeper area, and Holly just kind of let her go...in essence, to see if what she's teaching her is working. Sure enough, Em turned, and started kicking for the edge and came up on her own. A little freaked out, but in a good way -- she learned that a.) she has to be careful and b.) that she knew what to do in that kind of situation. No tears, no worries, just kind of a "whoops. Didn't expect that" look on her face!
Both kids enjoy diving too. I don't have great video of that, but they both are into goggles now (a progressive step to help them learn how to handle the water both with/without goggles) and they can both hold their breath and "dive" under for toys. Colton is diving out in the middle/deeper area, but Em did great "diving" along the edges.
Next step -- a few more lessons in Holly's pool, then a "final" lesson out at Grandma Mandy's pool to practice in their "most comfortable" environment. And I think it will be good for Colton too -- he can't touch with Grandma's pool, while he can touch on his tip toes in Holly's pool. Whole new ballgame!
Holly - you are doing wonderful things for these kids, and you better believe I'm going to be sharing your name/services! You do great work!
The more I talked to Amanda about the private lessons, the more the convenience of them grew on me. I could go after work. Kids would get one on one attention. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but really, when learning water safety, is there really a price? Not with the pool, creek/water holes in our backyard and opportunities we take to go to the beach/pond/lakes. And Amanda talked about how this places number one goal is WATER SAFETY. I was sold.
Let me just say -- if I thought I was sold before the lessons, I'm probably going to be a big fat cheerleader for Holly and the good work she does post lessons. The kids have been going once a week for a little over a month now, and I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful they are doing. Last night was a "breakthrough" night for both kids, according to Holly, and we're now nearing the end of the lessons, and I'm kind of sad about it. Holly is so wonderful with the kids, so patient, kind & encouraging. And get this -- my kids actually LISTEN to her. It's amazing. Here are a few videos to chart their progress. If you're reading this, wondering if you should get your kids swim lessons -- my answer is without a doubt. Money well spent. And do I have a recommendation for where to take them? You bet I do -- Simply Serenity Swim & Spa in Monticello. You will NOT be disappointed!
Here's Em's showcase:
Both kids enjoy diving too. I don't have great video of that, but they both are into goggles now (a progressive step to help them learn how to handle the water both with/without goggles) and they can both hold their breath and "dive" under for toys. Colton is diving out in the middle/deeper area, but Em did great "diving" along the edges.
Next step -- a few more lessons in Holly's pool, then a "final" lesson out at Grandma Mandy's pool to practice in their "most comfortable" environment. And I think it will be good for Colton too -- he can't touch with Grandma's pool, while he can touch on his tip toes in Holly's pool. Whole new ballgame!
Holly - you are doing wonderful things for these kids, and you better believe I'm going to be sharing your name/services! You do great work!
Comments
Post a Comment