I'm pretty sure, actually, that we didn't even get "Fall" this year. There were so few (dry) sweatshirt weather days. Not many warm afternoons and cool evenings. It was either still hot (read: Summer) or too chilly to be considered Fall. Sad. Fall is my favorite time of the year.
Sad too, because it made this year's Harvest more of a chore than I ever remember from years past (recent years past, I should say). Thankfully, we still got a lot of time in the combine & semi's with Dad & Uncle T. In fact...I was riding with Grandpa after a near-death experience (I'll go there in a second), when the combine started to get stuck....it wasn't pretty, but I have to say two things, a.) my Dad is AMAZING at backing that huge machine all the way up through the only cut aisle in the field, and b.) he was still in hog heaven with his whole family around for the day, despite his intense frustration with the weather/field conditions.
 |
| Because really, what else can you do by smile? |
Keaton enjoyed himself that day -- he didn't know anything was "sticky" on that particular Sunday afternoon!

Oh ya...that near death experience. Maybe an hour before this picture was taken, Sarah, Mom, Harry, Keaton, Emmalyn & I had driven over to deliver snacks and drinks to the working men. Upon Mom's advice, Sarah pulled up behind the combine, right at the corner of the field. It truly was perfect timing, because Dad was dumping on the grain cart, so we could easily grab them before they were off again. Expect, apparently, they didn't see us. Aunt Sarah was out of the car, Mom was walking toward the combine, and me, Harry, Keaton & Em were basically "stuck" in the backseat, watching the Combine back up right for us. Mighty Mouse Mom tried throwing her arms up as if her 5'3 frame might actually stop the moving combine, and apparently, at hte same time, Matt radio's Dad..."oh, looks like Mom wants to ride!"..................ugh, or not get run over, and not have Matt & Sarah's vehicle with us 4 still in it run over. Dad stopped the combine literally 1 foot from the car, and headed down the end row. Saved. Barely. I was literally SHAKING. I just remember praying, "maybe if he crunches the front end, he'll feel it, and stop....".............................which Mom later confirmed, he wouldn't have felt us at all. Something about previous experience with running a combine over a truck...
Other Fall Tales:
These days, we can't keep Emmalyn off her head. Colton went through this stage too. No one told me about this stage when I had my baby showers. Apparently, it's a real life thing. That or my kids are freaks. They will be walking through the house, then suddenly just throw themselves into a full on headstand. So strange. They said I couldn't do it. Oh, but I did. I win.
 |
| Yes, I tucked my shirt in. You're welcome. And No, I didn't say it was pretty... |
We also celebrated Halloween. The backstory on their costumes....Colton has wanted to be a police officer for quite some time. That's cool, great idea kiddo. Em didn't really have a preference, and well, Keaton, no choice. So....to pinterest I went. Group costumes for kids, police. Immediately I found an inmante costume. Huh, that's funny. And really, really appropriate for child #3. Searched further...Bank Robber. Ok, now this is coming together. Adorable. So I set to work buying parts and pieces to make their costumes, and it all came together wonderfully. I was confident in my parenting choice. Harmless, right? Until one evening before Halloween when we were out to dinner on campus, and a group of 20+ kids came in, wearing the "sexy" version of this same get up. Sexy Cop. Sexy Bank Robber. Sexy Jailbird. Ya. #parentfail. Though, still super cute. Just don't admit you know my children when those websearches generate "halloween costume gone wrong" photo collages, and my children are apart of that listing. #oops!
 |
| Halloween Shirts for School & Pam's! |
 |
| I mean honestly...they fit the part. To a T. |
Colton brought home his first love note. He didn't show it to me, however, I found it. And when I asked him what it was....he was offensive, then embarassed, then cried, then laughed. I think he honestly thought he was going to be in trouble. He had NO IDEA what to think. But he assured me that he did NOT love her back, and that he told her to stop, but she keeps writing him notes. Ahhh, young love! :) To Colton. From Jamiya. (He later destroyed the evidence. Guess what, Mom's got ninja like skills...captured on camera!)
Colton also played in his first basketball camp/scrimmage. For 8 weeks, he practiced on Saturday's mornings, and then got to showcase their skills at the Red & Black Preview night. He did a GREAT job, and was one of only a few kids to actually make a basket. However, Mom and Dad were more proud to watch him make a few great assists, and share the ball. Something that doesn't happen much at this age. Way to go Colton....so proud of you!
Basically, Fall was exhausting for all of us. Every. Last. One of us.
Comments
Post a Comment