Skip to main content

Goodbye old friend

It's not everyday you find a friend so loyal, always happy to see you and sad to see you go. Typically when you find this kind of friend, they have a lot of fur and four legs. 

I had only one "serious" boyfriend in high school, and he happened to be my best friends cousin. One evening during my junior year, as I was getting ready to head home for the night, his little brother showed us a litter of puppies he'd found, motherless, in the base of an old tree stump. What puppy isn't adorable? I fell in love. I left that night with a mission to save one of those pups. I might have just taken him home, hoping on a wing and a prayer I could keep him. I begged my parents, and they resisted. (Dad had to bury one too many dogs who fell victim to our busy road growing up!) You could say I'm persistent. Maybe I didn't stop begging. Maybe they finally gave in. Maybe his instant snuggles and love won them over.  All I remember is that one of those pups joined our family that fall, 16 years ago. 

We fell in love. We prayed he wouldn't find the road. We fed him, played with him, and cursed him from time to time.
We swore he was part coyote. We hated how he shed every summer, but lovingly brushed away that thick mane and watched hair balls float in the summer breeze. He kind of had a humping issue, and was a huge fan of 4-H season! Rick Sheets was his favorite "victim". He hated fireworks and thunderstorms. There weren't many table scraps we didn't share with him.
  Like most dog best friends, he was always greeting is at the back door, watching as we drove away, listening when we would share life's struggles and loving us always. He even crashed a handful of family pictures! 
Time passed. Rocky aged. He became more fragile. Thinner. Honestly, I could only hope I age in the same way. His love never faded, though his hearing did. He still knew us and loved us. 
  This week, Mom and Dad took Rocky to the vet for the final time. We couldn't watch him suffer any longer. We said our goodbyes on Monday, and though I've not lived at home for nearly 13 years, Rocky will always be my dog. (Let's face it, he's the best thing to come out of that short lived high school romance.)
  Rocky, you can't be replaced. You were the only dog we ever had who was smart enough to at least look both ways before crossing the road. We all 5 (technically, 12 of us, because you equally won over the hearts of our inlaws and grandkids), will miss you. We will always love you, and look back on the great memories we have of you on the porch with us. In the barn with us. Near the pool. Resting in the sunshine on the south side of the house. 

Thanks for being such a great dog. Great friend. Goodbye old friend, we love you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...