Skip to main content

Favorite Things

So, we've officially been parents for 9 years now, which is kind of mindblowing, because I feel like Colton was a baby yesterday, but apparently that's not the case. They don't lie when they say time doesn't slow down. Through the years, it's been fun to look back at each kids "Favorite Things".....I mostly just want to jot some notes here, so that someday when they're adults I can remind them of these silly fetishes that were SO IMPORTANT in their younger years. These are the joys (and headaches) of parenting, right?

Colton:
 -- Imagination Movers --


you loved this show and I loved watching you dance to the theme song! I will always blame the love of this show on your dis-interest in animation too. Because it was a show with real people as the characters, you found little interest in animated movies but loved real people movies -- The Blindside being an early favorite at age 4....


-- Dusty Jeans - you wanted nothing to do with new looking jeans, they had to be "dusty"...you know, like you'd worked hours at the farm before putting them on for the first time!

-- Black socks -- good grief this one was ANNOYING. They HAD to be black, they HAD to be a certain height........it was an obsession and it was not cool. You've grown up a bit though, and aren't AS picky about your socks....WHEW.

-- Again, I'll quote real people movies here -- you love The Sandlot, Rudy, Blindside, Rookie of the Year, Honey I Shrunk the kids....and I'm hoping to introduce you to more mid-90's classics. Tommy Boy didn't go over as well as I though -- might have been a premature introduction. We'll try again in high school! ;)  The first animated movie I got you to watch from start to finish, was Frozen. A princess movie. I don't quite get it either, but I will say -- the music was phenomenal .... so maybe that's the pull!

Emmalyn:
-- Team Umi Zoomi -- you loved this show, and would watch with such contentment. Fine by me, they were teaching you early counting, math and geometry, and lets be honest -- math was not my strong suit in school. One of my favorite birthday parties we did for you was a Team Umi Zoomi party -- such great memories!

 -- You moved on from Team Umi Zoomi to Peppa Pig -- which was fun, because I think I'm hilarious and do a fabulous British accent. You and the boys don't always agree with me, but I can turn on Daddy Pig in a hurry! Every time I ask if you need to use the loo, you giggle. My favorite! :)
-- You graduated from cartoons recently to more big kid shows...and in true Stockment fashion, left animation in the past. In fact, this coming weekend you are going to a birthday party to see Beauty & The Beast, the real person edition. I'm a little sad you've never seen the animated version. :( We might have to remedy that before this weekend! Anyway -- what did you graduate to loving -- Duck Dynasty which has bled over to Jep & Jessica. You could watch these shows for hours, and I'm quite okay with that. Clean, funny entertainment. And your DAd loves that you're into "hunting shows" :)

-- Em - other quirks you have are that you despise chocolate, you love sausage (just like your dad) and you love doing your homework. You are so good to help me by just doing what you have to do, getting it done, and moving on. I so appreciate that about you.  You also have a quirk of really not caring what you look like -- literally. You could be covered in lunch because you apparently don't believe in napkins, and you are as happy as a lark. You could be mismatched from head to toe, and no one's gonna rock your world. You are a gem, Miss Em, and we are so blessed to call you ours!

Keaton: 
 -- Keaton, you are our ebb & flow kiddo -- you roll with the punches, you mimic your big brother and sister....like any youngest child should. You love basketball when Colton's playing basketball, you love baseball when the kids are practicing baseball and softball, you love the cows, and you love tractors.
  - truthfully, you're probably our biggest tractor lover. You have the best imagination of the three of you. We got Colton into tractors, or tried, when he was your age, and just didn't play with them. I'm blaming 1st child syndrome and needing constant attention. You on the other hand will line them all up, drive them around the living room and be off on your own little farm in your head in a matter of minutes. We love that our boys love farming!
-- When Colton started getting into showing cows, I randomly searched for movies one day on the Dish on Demand feature, and found "Grand Champion" -- a early 2000's movie about a boy who raises a bottle calf to be the Grand Champion at the Big Texas Stock Show. If we've watched this once, we've watched it 10,000 times, and you sit mesmerized every time. And typically, you're not alone. As "hokey" as it is, you and your sibs (okay, and us) love watching Hokey Pokey & Buddy Tom Keane win the Big Texas Stock Show over, and over and over. The day Pam found it on her TV, you were elated.


-- and of course, like most boys in your age group, you love Paw Patrol. Don't tell Aunt Sarah & Uncle Matt, they probably won't let you watch it...they aren't fans. But my heart warms when I hear you chime in, "Chase is ON the CASE!" or "Rubble ON the DOUBLE!"



You three are unique -- and we love learning about what you love. We enjoy seeing you find something that captures your interest. Some day, a long time from now, when you might actually be reading these journal entries, I hope you look back on these pictures and remember with fond memories the things you loved during your childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

Central Indiana Winter Spectacular

 We kicked off show season with this set of calves in mid-January at the Central Indiana Winter Spectacular, a first time show down in Cloverdale, Indiana. I'm not sure what was more fun - being with our kids and friends at a cattle show, or listening to our kids meddle over the thought of staying in a Motel 6.  (Backstory on this one -- when I worked at Purdue/in the Conference division, I held a few conference at The Hyatt in downtown Indianapolis. When I had events there, I'd earn points. We then would use those points for free night stays....I think I had maybe 15 or so over the years. So, the only hotel my kids know, is a Hyatt, because unbeknownst to them, it was FREE.....which is the ONLY reason we stayed in such a nice place with young kids. So, imagine their dismay when the Motel 6 in Cloverdale didn't have an Eagles Nest rotating up top, or an indoor pool and hot tub/workout area. We have officially raised hotel snobs.....because when we finally took them to the k...