As quickly as our summer came, event after event, it quickly went out the door, and the kids back to school. It's bizarre sometimes to think that we already have a 2nd and 4th grader. I can remember playing those games when Em was first born -- trying to figure out their spaces. "So let's see, when Colton's in 1st grade, she'll be in preschool. And when he's in 2nd, she'll start K. Then before you know it, they'll be in 2nd & 4th, and 4th and 6th"...............and let me reiterate the key words here -- BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. I can remember so fondly the days when Em was first born. Colton at such a FUN age, and Em so sweet and round and new. Looking back, life was "hard" in that season, adjusting to two kids. In reality, I see how easy those times were. Diapers, puke & crying were my biggest worries. Now we've got a 4, 7 & 9 year old, and we're working hard at making them good people. In this season, that is the hard work. These are the trying times. How we treat friends. How we be a good friend. How we are compassionate. How we make mistakes, but learn from them and try again. How, no matter how much you hate it and don't want to do it, you have to do homework. Yes, even Go Math. (FYI, Go Math is the dumbest thing ever, and I'll tell the guy who wrote it. Call me.)
Still, as we do each year....we took those first day back to school photos and I still saw a caring sweet young man, with ambition and heart and anxiousness to see his friends. And a sweet girl, so excited to meet up with her girlfriends and learn more about her new teacher. These years are HARD. But they are also so fun. There are days I think we are major failures as parents, and there are days you go to sleep smiling, because you can see that glimpse of victory. Enough to give you courage to get up and try hard again the next day.
So, Colton and Em, as you enter 4th and 2nd grades respectively, I pray that you will always be kind. Always be generous. And know how proud you make your Dad & I, for you have no greater fans in this world than the two of us.
We certainly couldn't leave our smallest joy out. While he didn't start early on like the big kids, rather a few weeks later, he was SO EXCITED to go to school like Bubby & Sis. He got a backpack, new boots, a haircut and a grin as big as they come. Keaton, you made me so proud on your first day. I can remember the fear Colton had -- leading the pack. How blessed you are to already "know the ropes" haven't followed your sibs around. You proudly climbed onto the bus, and when I met you in town to get a few pics as you entered school, you did not even know I existed. You were off and running with your friends. It's pretty joyous as a parent to see you spread your wings and fly like that. No doubt your sweet personality will take you far.
Still, as we do each year....we took those first day back to school photos and I still saw a caring sweet young man, with ambition and heart and anxiousness to see his friends. And a sweet girl, so excited to meet up with her girlfriends and learn more about her new teacher. These years are HARD. But they are also so fun. There are days I think we are major failures as parents, and there are days you go to sleep smiling, because you can see that glimpse of victory. Enough to give you courage to get up and try hard again the next day.
So, Colton and Em, as you enter 4th and 2nd grades respectively, I pray that you will always be kind. Always be generous. And know how proud you make your Dad & I, for you have no greater fans in this world than the two of us.
Comments
Post a Comment