Skip to main content

AND, we're back....kind of....

As luck would have it -- school started. On time. And we ALL let out a collective sigh of relief and happiness. Again, not a normal start, it's certainly strange, but you're learning from your teachers who can help you FAR better than your Mom ever will be able to. 

We're now required to wear a mask anywhere we go where we cannot 6ft socially distance. So stores, restaurants, etc. However, once sitting, you can take off your mask.....so I still can't quite figure that piece out. There are much stricter rules at the school about being ill, having symptoms, how many days you miss, etc. We fought that for the first time, last week....a  week and a half into school. After a busy weekend and many late nights, Emmalyn woke up Monday with a stuffy nose, and tired eyes. She went to school with no fever, no other symptoms -- but was shortly sent home not feeling well. The nurse relayed to me "She can come back on Friday IF she's 72hours symptom free and has a doctors note"........we weren't told to take a Covid test, but we were now looking at 4 days out of school. For a stuffy nose. The same stuffy  nose and cold we get EVERY year when we go back to school and these kids are all sharing germs again. I called on Tuesday to our doctor to get the note and she assured me 3/4 of the calls they are receiving are from parents in my shoes. She said due to her SYMPTOM, we would need to isolate for 10 days. It didn't matter if she took a covid test or did not, if she got a positive or a negative, she needed to isolate for 10 days. I was livid. It was a COLD. Multiple symptoms, I can get down with that -- but one single symptom? Not buying. (Note: At this stage in the game - when I see the news daily still grasping at straws to hang onto the plandemic and continue to scare people irrationally about a disease that I'm CERTAIN will fall off the radar in November, after the election, my patience is THIN.) So, I call a few friends, call my mother (duh) and finally decide to take a risk an dvisit med express to get that doctors note. Thankfully, Dr. Plasick was on call and his first statement as he walked into the room and saw her there...."You know, kids are still gonna get normal sick". He took her temp, listened to her chest, looked in her throat, and finally....said "she's fine. She's maybe got some allergies, but she's fine"...................and $75 copay later, we had a doctors note and she went back to school on Friday!  Which, FINE, but can we (or any other family for that matter) afford to have $75 copays EVERY sniffle our kids have? I do not blame the school (they are simply trying to avoid being sued by the crazies), or the doctors (same) but I am OVER the fear mongering and the scardiness of all this. I PRAY you kids can look back on this time in history and roll your eyes! 

The good news --  sports are on - Colton's playing Jr. High Football, Keaton's playing flag football on Saturday's and Emmalyn will start 5/6 Volleyball in the coming week. Life is feeling a TAD more normal -- albiet in masks and distanced atmospheres, but it's happening and we're happy about that! :) 

Keaton moved on to 1st grade and was happy to have Miss Shelton. One, because Colton did, and two, because he knows Pat & Terri are Grandma's neighbors and that she would soon become their daughter in law! Sara's been a great match for Keaton -- mostly, I'm thankful that she knows us well enough to realize anything that comes out of his mouth is probably true......and we are still good parents. Or, at least she'll laugh with us about it. We think.....



Em was excited to get Mrs. Notary -- we knew they'd be a good match. She's quite sarcastic, which feels an awful lot like home! Emmalyn is transitioning through 5th grade quite nicely -- and it's definitely a transition. Not only are they back IN the classroom for the first time in a long time - 5th grade is just that much more rigorous. Looking back, I know it's worth it. But during -- it's a challenge. But, she's stepping up and we will get there.



Colton's rocking middle school. I mean, better grades that he's had in a long time - and I've hardly helped with homework. (Yes, I get it...that probably means that my help is what WAS holding him back! Whoops......#mamatried)  He was happy to get back into football and practice routine. He's certainly done a great job of managing all of his time!


And they were off...masked up, distanced from friends -- but they were back. And it felt normal. And it felt GOOD. 





I found that for the first time in my 4+ months with Hoosier Ag Today and a work from home job, I could actually focus. I had 8 hours a day to just be me. To start laundry, actually focus on my work without distractions, and just finally felt alive again. Like we weren't living in a constant state of chaos! 

2020 has been a trip -- but this one piece felt good again. And we are BEYOND thankful to our school system, our teachers, staff, admin who worked endlessly to make this happen for the kids. They are all invaluable to helping these kids thrive in this pandemic! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...