Skip to main content

Holy Redneck Hubs...

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but aside from all the great things about this house, there are three things that right now, could quite possibly send me to an insane asylum.
1.) Ants
2.) Mice
3.) (and the most obnoxious/troublemaking) PINE SQUIRELLS!
So, about two weeks ago, on a Monday night, Seth came out to visit, and as we sat and visited, I thought that I could smell something in our living room. I couldn't quite make out what it was, it was only coming in whiffs. On Tuesday, I decided to investigate. (Let me backtrack a little further here, and background this story with the fact that often times, when I'm home on a day off, or home by myself, Jason will recieve a call from me informing him that I hear "critters" in the wall/attic/ceiling. I felt like I could hear them climbing up and down the pipes attached to the shower/bar area) I always refer to them as critters, because I honestly had no idea what they were -- racoons, mice, who knows...)
Upon further investigation Tuesday evening (beginning at maybe 9pm), I opened up the cabinent below the awesome built in bar in our living room, and I about passed out the stinch was so nasty. Okay, as bad as it smelled, this was good....we figured out WHERE the stink as coming from. As I pondered it a little more, I realized, it was something dead. GREAT! Dead something in our cabinent, or so I hoped....easy clean up. What happened next is kind of a blur, because it was getting late, but being married to a carpenter, of course, he had all the tools to successfully do this.....to the cabinent under the bar.
DSC03480
You'll notice that we cut two holes, the first being on the floor, where there is now a handy dandy air freshner, and the second would be the hole on the left wall. (Hole number three, and the true find, came on Wednesday afternoon).  Finally, about 11pm on Tuesday, we gave up....it stunk so bad we were getting headaches, and we'd still not found anything. Jason took it upon himself to further investigate on Wednesday after work, and he found 3 DEAD baby PINE SQUIRELLS deep in the wall between the shower & back of the bar. He successfully removed them, and only a small stinch lingered. Hence, the air freshner still hanging around. Fantastic -- although we tore our house up a little bit, we were able to remove the smell, and handle things. And thankfully, it's all in a place where no one sees anyway.
On Tuesday morning of this week, I already heard the critters again....they were back. Right back in the walls (which are still wide open thank you very much) and right back to their typical scratching and climing and general annoyance.
Fast forward to this morning. Saturday morning. We all slept in (which was awesome) and sat down to a nice family breakfast. As Jason got up to pour himself something to drink, this is what I hear: "There's a little pine squirrell that needs to die"...and he disappears. I knew exactly what he was after -- a gun & some sandals to go outside and shoot. OR SO I THOUGHT. Colton and I carried on with breakfast and I heard a gunshot, and thought to myself..."wow, that was kind of loud"...and then I hear the footsteps of Jason coming DOWN THE STAIRS. My redneck husband went upstairs to Colton's toyroom, opened the window, opened the screen, and successfully shot the pine squirrell.
Jason 2, Pine Squirrells 0.
DSC03478 DSC03477
All this while Colton just chilled out, enjoying breakfast, not realizing what kind of rednecks he lives with and loves so much...
DSC03479

In other quick news....remember that first baseball tailgate we took Colton & Meredith too...let's do a quick then and now...let's just say, they were much easier contained, and tailgating is always easier than bleacher seats!
DSC01285 DSC03475 DSC03473

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Two + Two + One more = FIVE

Yup, you read that right, by the end of July, the Stockment's will officially be a family of five. Jason and I learned in mid-November that we were expecting our third child and we were both overjoyed with the news. (More so than I thought Jason would be -- he wasn't convinced on having another (or should I say, not as convinced as I was), but once he saw that baby's heartbeating on the monitor at the docs office, he couldn't keep it a secret anymore!!) I convinced Jason to keep our news to immediate family, however, failed to remember that we have a VERY chatty 4 year old, and a 2 year old who repeats everything her big bro says! :) So, we told our families on a Tuesday evening (after our doc appointment that afternoon) and by Thursday, I think half of White County knew. If you attend or drop children off to attend Pam's daycare or Bright Beginnings Preschool, you were amongst the first to know! I had hoped for some elaborate scheme to tell both of our parents ...

Life's Beachy

What a whirlwind month March has been! From the baby reveal to birthday parties (Madi turning 3, Sawyer turning 2 and soon Brad & Debbie!), to Jason working weekend after weekend at his side job, to moving Matt & Sarah into their new home, to Jason getting a new job, to kindergarten round up, to preparing for Florida....whew! Yup, you read that right -- after 14 years with Bouma Betten, Jason is making a jump. He applied for a job with Monsanto in Remington, and was lucky enough to be offered the job just last week. I am so beyond proud of him -- he's not a resume/interview kind of guy, but he put his best foot forward and proved what a hard worker he is. He'll start there as a Seed Tech in mid-April and although it will mean big changes for him (and US!), it will be worth it. The benefits cannot be topped...vacation time, paid time off for sick leave, 401K, health -- all things he didn't have (or did have, but not great) in his current job. It will certainly be a...