Skip to main content

The American Dream

  A few (okay, probably more like 8ish) years ago, I was riding with my Dad in the combine. (I'm sure I've mentioned it here before, but I'll proudly say it again -- that's one of my ALL-TIME-FAVORITE things to do.) While on that particular ride, something just came over me -- a feeling that made me proud to have grown up on a farm, thankful for the work that my Dad was raised to do, and the knowledge of the farm that he imparted on us kids.

  Granted...I wasn't overly involved in the day to day tasks -- I could probably drive a tractor with a quick reminder lesson, and I never did learn how to drive the grain cart, or the trucks (especially not the semi's)....but I could do something (that was very important) for the farm. I could feed the men who needed the nourishment to survive this wonderful (and tiring) work. We all played a part come spring planting and fall harvest -- and I think that's what kind of all culminated on that one particular ride with Dad.

  As I looked out from my perch in the buddy seat -- likely listening to Dad while he chatted away on his cell phone or listened for the particular dings, buzzes and sounds of the machine -- I watched the grain dump out of the auger and into the grain cart....while the sun was setting and all I could think was -- "We're lucky enough to be living the American dream". (Here's where I made a mistake...I texted my good friend Gumby a picture of this "dream" and to this day -- he gets in touch each year during his own fall harvest, and mocks me talking about the American dream. Secretly though..I know he agrees. You wouldn't be a farmer if it wasn't a labor of love.)

  So, you can imagine the torture I subject my whole family too, by begging constantly to be making trips to Wolcott, breaking bedtime routines & rules, all for a simple pass or two down the cornfield. No one really objects -- or would call it torture...although, Jason hates breaking HIS bedtime routine! :) Colton's like his Momma....and Emmalyn's learning to enjoy it too. (Remember last year -- Emmalyn couldn't stay awake for her combine ride?) Jason I think even secretly likes it -- loves helping drive the grain cart, move equipment, and last year he even learned to help run the semi's. He's making leaps and bounds from when we were dating (and might have overfilled the truck!).

  Last night was no exception....only this time, we brought along a professional...photographer, that is. For Mom & Dad's birthday's this year, we offered to make them a coffee table book, with pictures capturing harvest...a favorite time for all of us. Jason's Uncle Q, who took our wedding photos and has done family photos for us before) came up to spend an evening capturing shots of the action. He got pictures of us hanging out in the roadsides waiting for the Semi's to fill, the kids playing in the grain, etc. What you'll see below aren't exactly professional -- I didn't even remember to take out  my real camera, but caught some footage of the fun on my camera. Enjoy. I hope these shots continually help remind us of why the family farm is so important, and why fall harvest is always my favorite.

 We are beyond blessed to be living the American Dream. As corny as it sounds....we are beyond blessed to be a part of this line of work. Truly a labor of love.


Life is good.

Grandpa's Buddy!

Me-maws girl!

She was so captivated by the auger's unloading into the Semi.

Goofy Girls

Love.


Trying to capture our ride -- Grandpa, Mommy & Emmalyn

Em's not sure -- but Mom's having a ball!

She's so serious...

Driver!
And who says you can't have some fun in the cab of a combine...after a wonderful evening with the family...
We are so blessed in this aweful, beautiful life...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...