Last weekend, we were camping and Mom texted that Uncle Dave was in the hospital. That pretty well started the up and down that come the following week. Sunday night was better news, Monday was bad news. Tuesday things were better, Wednesday, not so good.
Finally -- on Thursday -- the ups and downs ended. Uncle Dave had gone home to Heaven, and our worlds would be forever changed. I suppose really, that it already had been -- because of the time we got to spend with him. I hate that it isn't until someone's gone from your life that you really stop and think about how blessed you were to have that person in your life. Uncle Dave was certainly that person. Yes, he was an uncle -- but to us three kids, who basically grew up in his backyard, he was so much more than that. We were blessed that God gave us two burly, grizzly bear appearing, giant (teddy bear)lovable Grandpa's. He was fun to hug. Fun to tease. Fun to be around. He was ornery. He tried to be grumpy (but we all knew that was just an act). And by God, if he said it....he meant it.
There are so many stories I could share. So many -ism's that were Uncle Dave. What will I remember most about him? The way he loved and treated Aunt Kay. Respected her always. Made her feel like the wonderful woman that she is. And her, she loved him back just the same. They have one of those can't-be-copied romantic love stories. You know, the ones that us girls always want after watching a 2 1/2 hour romantic comedy? That is their true-life love story. Flowers, always. Opening doors. Ladies first. Jewelery. (Lots of jewelery). Secret looks of understanding, love and compassion. The way they looked at each other. You can't make that up. They both know that God truly blessed them when He brought them together. And me, I'm just thankful to have grown up watching them, and that Jason and I have so many wonderful examples of such love in our families. I've caught myself this week, as Jason seemed to have all the right words, looks of encouragement and understanding, hugs and comforting, asking if he was "channeling his inner- Uncle Dave"....and he knows just what I mean by that. (And no, he hasn't started a standing monthly order for flowers -- but we're working on that one!) He told me - "Dave was a great example, and I'm trying to be better about following that example". (Unprompted he said that....UN-PROMPTED. That's the kind of impact Uncle Dave had on a person).
I know he meant the world to my Dad. He was his big brother. His mentor. In fact, the last time I saw him, he and Dan (his brother in law) were helping Dad and Trent figure out what might have gone wrong with the combine. Dad's sure gonna miss you -- so can you be sure to watch over him and remind him it's all going to be okay? I'm sure you'll still be a big part of the farm come spring and fall, only through the way the wind blows or the beautiful sunsets, rain when we need it or holding it off a day when that would be best, -- we'll hear you that way rather than via the cb radio! Brothers who are mentors are one of a kind, and Dad sure thought the world of you.
I'll also never forget our continual battle back and forth over IU vs. Purdue. It was at it's peak when we were young kids, and it was more Bobby Knight vs. Gene Keady than IU vs Purdue. We would wait all basketball season for that game, and once it completed, we'd jump right on the phone, dial up 2594 and say..."So, Uncle Dave -- did you watch the game? Just curious if you knew who won?"...then we would all three just laugh and laugh and I can still hear him, "Very funny. (Insert here some excuse he had about how Purdue cheated, or the refs were bad, or....as to why the Hoosier's just couldn't pull it off). Likewise, when Purdue would come up short, he'd occasionally call up us kids, and rub it in our faces. I'm sure he cried a few tears the day I decided to spend my 4 years of college at Purdue (although, I gained back a few points by studying Agriculture). However, we knew Uncle Dave loved us, no matter who our sports affiliation, because just this summer he made me one of his "critters", and painted it in the colors of my alma matter -- likely cussing the whole time he lovingly made it -- because he knew it would mean the world to me. And it does. I'll forever treasure that black and gold garden critter.
I'm thankful that Uncle Dave was able to be a part of my kids lives. Friday evening, as I cut his obituary out of the paper, Emmalyn, 2 years old, climbed up beside me, saw his picture and pointed and said, "Dave?". He was so good to them. He and Aunt Kay both. I'm thankful that the kids and I got to go visit just a few short weeks ago, and that we took him one of his favorites -- peeps (which he promptly opened...not to eat, but to allow them to stale out) -- and that the kids gave him and Aunt Kay both, good hugs & kisses before we left. Little did we know then that would be one of the last times we'd be around him.
I said before - I could go on forever. I could talk about the dum-dums, the "Kim's pregnant" rumor that he started, and nearly didn't finish!, the time they came to visit me when I was a State FFA Officer, Christmas's at Grandma Halls, helping at Auctions, how Colton loved hanging with Uncle Dave, the way he shared the history of our family, the way he and Aunt Kay kept Solly's in business, when they came to share the pictures from his Farm Auction, etc, etc, etc.
The man meant the world to us. This week hasn't been easy -- but when the dust settles, we begin to realize what great memories we have, and how blessed we are to have had Uncle Dave in our life. It's no secret that I love my family. I do. Jason calls it the "last man standing" syndrome -- but I don't want to miss out on a single minute of any family get together -- and with family like this, and people like Uncle Dave in my life -- why would I?
Aunt Kay, Bryan and Greg -- thank you for sharing him with us. Thanks for letting us grow up in your backyard, for letting us tease and rile up your Dad. Thanks for the memories we have with him, and for being such pillars of comfort in a time when you hurt too. God gave us a good one, and he called a good one home. His biggest legacy is that he taught both boys how to treat a lady, and in this day and age, that's a lost art.
At least we know, that when our day comes -- we'll have a lot of great company up there. Uncle Dave -- keep watching over us -- but enjoy the time with Grandpa and Grandma...and remember, "that shit don't happen so far from home" -- :) Love you!
Finally -- on Thursday -- the ups and downs ended. Uncle Dave had gone home to Heaven, and our worlds would be forever changed. I suppose really, that it already had been -- because of the time we got to spend with him. I hate that it isn't until someone's gone from your life that you really stop and think about how blessed you were to have that person in your life. Uncle Dave was certainly that person. Yes, he was an uncle -- but to us three kids, who basically grew up in his backyard, he was so much more than that. We were blessed that God gave us two burly, grizzly bear appearing, giant (teddy bear)lovable Grandpa's. He was fun to hug. Fun to tease. Fun to be around. He was ornery. He tried to be grumpy (but we all knew that was just an act). And by God, if he said it....he meant it.
There are so many stories I could share. So many -ism's that were Uncle Dave. What will I remember most about him? The way he loved and treated Aunt Kay. Respected her always. Made her feel like the wonderful woman that she is. And her, she loved him back just the same. They have one of those can't-be-copied romantic love stories. You know, the ones that us girls always want after watching a 2 1/2 hour romantic comedy? That is their true-life love story. Flowers, always. Opening doors. Ladies first. Jewelery. (Lots of jewelery). Secret looks of understanding, love and compassion. The way they looked at each other. You can't make that up. They both know that God truly blessed them when He brought them together. And me, I'm just thankful to have grown up watching them, and that Jason and I have so many wonderful examples of such love in our families. I've caught myself this week, as Jason seemed to have all the right words, looks of encouragement and understanding, hugs and comforting, asking if he was "channeling his inner- Uncle Dave"....and he knows just what I mean by that. (And no, he hasn't started a standing monthly order for flowers -- but we're working on that one!) He told me - "Dave was a great example, and I'm trying to be better about following that example". (Unprompted he said that....UN-PROMPTED. That's the kind of impact Uncle Dave had on a person).
I know he meant the world to my Dad. He was his big brother. His mentor. In fact, the last time I saw him, he and Dan (his brother in law) were helping Dad and Trent figure out what might have gone wrong with the combine. Dad's sure gonna miss you -- so can you be sure to watch over him and remind him it's all going to be okay? I'm sure you'll still be a big part of the farm come spring and fall, only through the way the wind blows or the beautiful sunsets, rain when we need it or holding it off a day when that would be best, -- we'll hear you that way rather than via the cb radio! Brothers who are mentors are one of a kind, and Dad sure thought the world of you.
![]() |
| Brothers. Mentors. Wonderful examples. |
I'll also never forget our continual battle back and forth over IU vs. Purdue. It was at it's peak when we were young kids, and it was more Bobby Knight vs. Gene Keady than IU vs Purdue. We would wait all basketball season for that game, and once it completed, we'd jump right on the phone, dial up 2594 and say..."So, Uncle Dave -- did you watch the game? Just curious if you knew who won?"...then we would all three just laugh and laugh and I can still hear him, "Very funny. (Insert here some excuse he had about how Purdue cheated, or the refs were bad, or....as to why the Hoosier's just couldn't pull it off). Likewise, when Purdue would come up short, he'd occasionally call up us kids, and rub it in our faces. I'm sure he cried a few tears the day I decided to spend my 4 years of college at Purdue (although, I gained back a few points by studying Agriculture). However, we knew Uncle Dave loved us, no matter who our sports affiliation, because just this summer he made me one of his "critters", and painted it in the colors of my alma matter -- likely cussing the whole time he lovingly made it -- because he knew it would mean the world to me. And it does. I'll forever treasure that black and gold garden critter.
![]() |
| My Purdue Garden Critter -- snipping shears +golf putter + wrenches + black and gold paint = perfect memories. |
I'm thankful that Uncle Dave was able to be a part of my kids lives. Friday evening, as I cut his obituary out of the paper, Emmalyn, 2 years old, climbed up beside me, saw his picture and pointed and said, "Dave?". He was so good to them. He and Aunt Kay both. I'm thankful that the kids and I got to go visit just a few short weeks ago, and that we took him one of his favorites -- peeps (which he promptly opened...not to eat, but to allow them to stale out) -- and that the kids gave him and Aunt Kay both, good hugs & kisses before we left. Little did we know then that would be one of the last times we'd be around him.
![]() |
| Lunch while helping with Spring Planting -- in a shop that holds so many memories. (And a few cuss words...) |
![]() |
| He loved to spoil with his farm "toys". |
I said before - I could go on forever. I could talk about the dum-dums, the "Kim's pregnant" rumor that he started, and nearly didn't finish!, the time they came to visit me when I was a State FFA Officer, Christmas's at Grandma Halls, helping at Auctions, how Colton loved hanging with Uncle Dave, the way he shared the history of our family, the way he and Aunt Kay kept Solly's in business, when they came to share the pictures from his Farm Auction, etc, etc, etc.
The man meant the world to us. This week hasn't been easy -- but when the dust settles, we begin to realize what great memories we have, and how blessed we are to have had Uncle Dave in our life. It's no secret that I love my family. I do. Jason calls it the "last man standing" syndrome -- but I don't want to miss out on a single minute of any family get together -- and with family like this, and people like Uncle Dave in my life -- why would I?
Aunt Kay, Bryan and Greg -- thank you for sharing him with us. Thanks for letting us grow up in your backyard, for letting us tease and rile up your Dad. Thanks for the memories we have with him, and for being such pillars of comfort in a time when you hurt too. God gave us a good one, and he called a good one home. His biggest legacy is that he taught both boys how to treat a lady, and in this day and age, that's a lost art.
At least we know, that when our day comes -- we'll have a lot of great company up there. Uncle Dave -- keep watching over us -- but enjoy the time with Grandpa and Grandma...and remember, "that shit don't happen so far from home" -- :) Love you!
![]() |
| One of my favorites. |





What a sweet story and great memories! Definitely a family full of love and laughter :)
ReplyDelete