Skip to main content

Tales from Kindergarten

All I can think of as I start this post, is that line at the very end of one of my favorite movies, Dumb & Dumber -- "Just when I think you couldn't possibly get any dumber Lloyd, you go and do something like this, and TOTALLY redeem yourself!" -- This would be how I've felt about you, dear Colton, as of late. Only not the dumb part....those words would be replaced with "make anymore poor choices".

Let's suffice it to say you've been testing the kindergarten waters lately. Can I remind you -- since you probably won't read this for some time, that your Kindergarten discipline chart goes like this --
- Green is GREAT
- Yellow is a warning...time to slow down.
- Blue - this is your angel life. You walk laps for 5 minutes of your recess and are removed from the activity.
- Red - You're done. You lose all of recess to walking laps and you parents get a phone call about your behavior.

In the past week you've gotten two blues and a red. I've used the words disappointed about 50 times. You've done a LOT of extra chores and wrote sentences (you did not like either of these additional punishments). I talked to your teacher for about a half an hour one night, and you've promised me multiple times that "Today I'm going for green, Mom".

You do get "brownie points" for being honest and spilling your guts that you weren't good that day at school, no sooner did I walk into Pam's to pick you up. Kudos on the honesty.

To be honest, your transgressions aren't horrible -- you talk to much in class (yes, you get that from me....sorry kid.), and you can't keep your hands to yourself (that might be from Dad...he likes to teach you how to roughhouse.....right before bedtime). The not following directions the first time you're told -- that's probably you being a bullheaded first born. You get that from both Dad and I. Sorry again. But you KNOW better than to do these things. We've talked about it. You know how to make good choices. I've told you to make good choices over and over and over and over.....and yet, you haven't this past week.

But you were honest. And you did give your best, and today -- low and behold, you only got a yellow. It's not great, but it IS improvement. Small victories, right?

Needless to say -- I've been beating myself up as a parent over these reds & blues, because I don't know what to do to make you behave in class and I can't possibly tell you one more time to make good choices, knowing you'll make good choices. You're going to screw up sometimes. That's human nature. I'll love you anyway. But then today, as I stopped to get the mail on my way to Pam's to pick you up...silently talking to God, begging him to have helped you to a Green day -- I got the most amazing letter. Maybe a sign from God to tell us that "hey, you're doing okay Mom & Dad....hang in there".
PROUD MOMMA AND POPPA GRINS GO HERE!!!
So yes. I might have gotten the weepy glees over you picking up paper towel off the dirty school bathroom floors...but hey, it was the first day of school, so it couldn't have been THAT dirty, right? Colton -- you're a great kid with a great heart. You are so smart and haven continually impressed Dad and I with all that you are learning in school. It's amazing to be honest. The other night you whipped out that you knew what syllables were and Dad and I about fell over -- then did a crash course on google to remind ourselves about syllables and how to "sound it out".  

Keep up the great work, kiddo. Keep working and "trying my very best" for green. We know you can do it, you just have to remember to....yup....MAKE GOOD CHOICES

Comments

  1. haha...so cute! And great note from the school! I've heard of more schools doing that and glad to see that schools have learned that praise works wonders. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Two + Two + One more = FIVE

Yup, you read that right, by the end of July, the Stockment's will officially be a family of five. Jason and I learned in mid-November that we were expecting our third child and we were both overjoyed with the news. (More so than I thought Jason would be -- he wasn't convinced on having another (or should I say, not as convinced as I was), but once he saw that baby's heartbeating on the monitor at the docs office, he couldn't keep it a secret anymore!!) I convinced Jason to keep our news to immediate family, however, failed to remember that we have a VERY chatty 4 year old, and a 2 year old who repeats everything her big bro says! :) So, we told our families on a Tuesday evening (after our doc appointment that afternoon) and by Thursday, I think half of White County knew. If you attend or drop children off to attend Pam's daycare or Bright Beginnings Preschool, you were amongst the first to know! I had hoped for some elaborate scheme to tell both of our parents ...

Life's Beachy

What a whirlwind month March has been! From the baby reveal to birthday parties (Madi turning 3, Sawyer turning 2 and soon Brad & Debbie!), to Jason working weekend after weekend at his side job, to moving Matt & Sarah into their new home, to Jason getting a new job, to kindergarten round up, to preparing for Florida....whew! Yup, you read that right -- after 14 years with Bouma Betten, Jason is making a jump. He applied for a job with Monsanto in Remington, and was lucky enough to be offered the job just last week. I am so beyond proud of him -- he's not a resume/interview kind of guy, but he put his best foot forward and proved what a hard worker he is. He'll start there as a Seed Tech in mid-April and although it will mean big changes for him (and US!), it will be worth it. The benefits cannot be topped...vacation time, paid time off for sick leave, 401K, health -- all things he didn't have (or did have, but not great) in his current job. It will certainly be a...