Sometimes I don't think we realize what a grip social media has on our society. I'm not fully against it. I see several benefits of it. However, I'm hoping it's a trend. Call me old fashioned.
I tried planning our 10 year reunion a few years back, and am in the middle of plAnning what might be our 15th. Out of a class of 56, 48 of us are on Facebook. I know what their kids look like, where they live, what jobs they hold and where they vacationed last. What's the point of spending money on a reunion when we already know most of the answers...this is a pitfall to social media.
On the flip side, I come from a large extended family, and my cousins mean a lot to me. We made some awesome memories growing up together. Without social media, I can't keep up with their families as well. Because of social media, no one hand prints a note and includes pictures. No one picks up the phone to call and say hello. So, you are somewhat "forced" to use social media to keep up.
So. I made a rash decision to quit. That's it. I'm done. I'm sick of the negativity. The fad challenges. The jealousy it breeds. The conversations it kills. The time it steals from your kids when you are constantly updating your newsfeed on your smartphone. When you choose to check Facebook on the iPad when you have company. When you post a pic to see how many likes you garner. It's stopped being about being connected in a positive way and it's killing conversations around the world. Just watch the next time you go out for dinner....how many tables around you have people fully engulfed in their cell phones.
Anyway, I decided to quit. For me. For my family. And so my kids wouldn't shy up to the camera afraid that their every move would be put on Facebook. And yes, they do get it...I've heard Colton say many times, "no! You'll just put it on Facebook". So, for dear Colton and his innocence, I quit.
Except, it's not that easy. First, I had to google how to delete (not just deactivate), my account. I've deactivated before and all you have to do to restart is simply log back in. Clever, Facebook. So,per facebooks suggestion, I downloaded my whole profile, hesitant to lose any of the 4,000 photos I had posted. (Yes, 4,000...see "addicted" above). Anyway, once I did that, I had to request to delete my profile, and even then, Facebook cleverly gave me 14 days to change my mind. I was headstrong, though flustered as I realized my spotify, red card, my fitness pal, and other apps were all tied through my Facebook account. It was then I started to realize that this single thing had such a super grip on so many facets of my life.
But guess what. Thankfully (you won't hear me say this often) 14 days went fast, and I'm still alive to tell about it. Still socially connected...I don't think any of us can fully give up social media, but I feel such a release not being on Facebook.
I'm glad I made the choice to quit. For me and my family. So, do me a favor...if you read this...call me sometime to keep in touch. Or text me. Or email me. Or, gasp, send me a note. I will try to repay the favor!
Comments
Post a Comment