When Jason and I first started dating, I can remember his Mom & Aunt Debbie telling me stories of then 10 & 12 year old Jacob and Silas and some of the things they said, in public, that made them cringe. Like Silas falling off the bunk beds, and when questioned about the bruises at school, replying, "it's a family matter". Or dear, tender uncle Jacob, having just endured his Grandfathers death, and Jason buying a house, and Jessica moving on to college telling the school nurses that "our family is just falling apart"..................Mr. Drama he was! ;)
Well, I knew our time would come right? All parents with small children know their day will come when a story will get misconstrued and repeated in the most inappropriate of times. When our school years started with the kids, I remember hearing or reading somewhere that teachers will only believe half of what our children tell them about us, if we promise to only believe half of what our children tell us about them.
So Wednesday evening, I hosted a Tastefully Simple Party. I hadn't had a party like this since before I started selling it, and I stopped selling it probably 3 years ago. It was past time to stock up. Emmalyn was so excited to stay home with me, while he kicked the boys out and had a "girls night". She and Kate Mansfield helped pass samples around and had such a fun time. The person hosting the party was Ashley (Shafer) Ponto, and old friend from 4-H/HS/college/Jason and I's early dating days. It was great to catch up with her. After the guests had gone home, we were standing around visiting, catching up, and honestly -- I'm so stunned by what happened next I have NO IDEA how we even GOT to this point in the conversation.
Out of NOWHERE, Emmalyn said to Ashley, "Ya, my dad makes my mom cry sometimes too"......and I just assumed she knew occasionally, ole Mom is pretty emotional. Oh no....she didn't stop there, when I gave her that confused, "what are you talking about" look, she says, "You know, when he takes you in the bathroom and punches you? He makes you cry".............................................................SILENCE. Then awkward laughter. Then backpeddling.
I'm wracking my brain trying to consider where this even came from, Ashley and I are both laughing and Em's giggling, and it dawns on me. From time to time, Jason is ornery (are you shocked?) and will pretend to wrestle me to get a rise out of the kids. More so, to prove my fact that these three kids have my back over his.........because when he fake tickles/wrestles me like this, Keaton will ALWAYS come up behind him, punch him in the leg and say, "top it daddy, TOP IT!" Sweet baby innocence, because the other two ask him to stop once, then join in the tickling. (For the record, Jason has NEVER punched me. Made me cry, probably, but let's be honest, most youtube videos can spawn tears, so it doesn't take much. But punching me? Good grief, NO WAY DEAR!)
Perhaps this was her version of Daddy taking me into the bathroom and punching me? Good lord, WHO KNOWS where this came from. Ashley didn't ask to do an investigation and I was more so glad because I learned the next day she's a victims advocate for Tippecanoe County. Talk about wrong person to put your foot in your mouth in front of! HAHA
When I told Jason, he was like, "WHAT THE HELL!?!" and was quick to say he'd NEVER and WOULD NEVER do that to me...his wife & their mother. More awkward laughter followed with a million, "WHAT IN THE WORLD, EMMALYN!!!"
We got a good laugh out of it....because really, you cannot predict what nor when these kids are going to say something that instantaneously embarrasses the heck out of you, while making you back peddle and EXPLAIN this nonsense spewing from their mouths!! #outofthemouthsofbabes
Well, I knew our time would come right? All parents with small children know their day will come when a story will get misconstrued and repeated in the most inappropriate of times. When our school years started with the kids, I remember hearing or reading somewhere that teachers will only believe half of what our children tell them about us, if we promise to only believe half of what our children tell us about them.
So Wednesday evening, I hosted a Tastefully Simple Party. I hadn't had a party like this since before I started selling it, and I stopped selling it probably 3 years ago. It was past time to stock up. Emmalyn was so excited to stay home with me, while he kicked the boys out and had a "girls night". She and Kate Mansfield helped pass samples around and had such a fun time. The person hosting the party was Ashley (Shafer) Ponto, and old friend from 4-H/HS/college/Jason and I's early dating days. It was great to catch up with her. After the guests had gone home, we were standing around visiting, catching up, and honestly -- I'm so stunned by what happened next I have NO IDEA how we even GOT to this point in the conversation.
Out of NOWHERE, Emmalyn said to Ashley, "Ya, my dad makes my mom cry sometimes too"......and I just assumed she knew occasionally, ole Mom is pretty emotional. Oh no....she didn't stop there, when I gave her that confused, "what are you talking about" look, she says, "You know, when he takes you in the bathroom and punches you? He makes you cry".............................................................SILENCE. Then awkward laughter. Then backpeddling.
I'm wracking my brain trying to consider where this even came from, Ashley and I are both laughing and Em's giggling, and it dawns on me. From time to time, Jason is ornery (are you shocked?) and will pretend to wrestle me to get a rise out of the kids. More so, to prove my fact that these three kids have my back over his.........because when he fake tickles/wrestles me like this, Keaton will ALWAYS come up behind him, punch him in the leg and say, "top it daddy, TOP IT!" Sweet baby innocence, because the other two ask him to stop once, then join in the tickling. (For the record, Jason has NEVER punched me. Made me cry, probably, but let's be honest, most youtube videos can spawn tears, so it doesn't take much. But punching me? Good grief, NO WAY DEAR!)
Perhaps this was her version of Daddy taking me into the bathroom and punching me? Good lord, WHO KNOWS where this came from. Ashley didn't ask to do an investigation and I was more so glad because I learned the next day she's a victims advocate for Tippecanoe County. Talk about wrong person to put your foot in your mouth in front of! HAHA
When I told Jason, he was like, "WHAT THE HELL!?!" and was quick to say he'd NEVER and WOULD NEVER do that to me...his wife & their mother. More awkward laughter followed with a million, "WHAT IN THE WORLD, EMMALYN!!!"
We got a good laugh out of it....because really, you cannot predict what nor when these kids are going to say something that instantaneously embarrasses the heck out of you, while making you back peddle and EXPLAIN this nonsense spewing from their mouths!! #outofthemouthsofbabes
Comments
Post a Comment