Skip to main content

Not to be outdone...

Emmalyn, remember about a year ago -- when Keaton broke his collarbone, I nearly died from the worst puking flu I've EVER had, and Colton and Dad got sick too, but you managed to be okay through all of this? And how you wouldn't go to school, were having some issues with this stressful time in our life?

Well, child, a year has passed and my dear one, you have found a way to cope with these things. Not to be outdone by your baby brother and his two trips to the ER and his stitches and follow up appointments, you made sure your middle child presence was known!

So, on Monday, I went to lunch with Nat & Stac, as we always do. (11:30. Moe's. Joey in a bowl. Pork. Pinto. Extra lettuce....you get the routine). Anyway, when we got in the car to leave, about 12:30, I saw a missed call from a 563 number, and thought it was weird....because it was the schools number. Let me just stop here and say I was NOT prepared for the next 15 minutes of my day. And poor Nat, sat next to me to witness all of it..............

"Mrs. Stockment, this is Mrs. Wheeldon, the nurse at Frontier Elementary, please call me back just as soon as you can, as I have Emmalyn here in my office"....

UGH, must be puking. Great. So I dial up, "Well, hello Mrs. Stockment. Thanks for calling me back. I've got Emmalyn here in my office, and I just wanted to make you aware of an incident"...(I'm now holding my breath waiting to hear about another injury, picturing a broken arm, need for more stitches, etc).

"Emmalyn seems to have swallowed a penny. She is fine, obviously a bit worked up, but she says that she can breath easily, and I have checked her out and it appears to be low enough in the tract that she isn't obstructed in any way, but I'd like you to call your doctor. Most will simply let it pass on it's own, but it's nice for them to be in the loop, should they want to do x-rays."

"um, okay....thank you for calling me. Is Emmalyn sitting there?"

"Sure, just a minute"

"Hi babe! What happened?? Why did you swallow a penny silly girl?"

"Mom, (now sobbing again) I was just sitting there listening to the story and Aliveah took it out of my back pocket and shoved it in my mouth!"

"Well, Em, settle down. I'm sure it was an accident. You don't need to be mean to Aliveah, you'll be fine and we'll just wait for it to come out in your (this is where I paused, realize Mrs. Wheeldon might be hearing our entire conversation and not wanting to sound 100% hillbilly, so I refrained myself from saying poop, and instead said)....................in the toilet!"

Fair enough. We hung up. Nat and I DIED laughing for a solid 10 minutes. I dropped her off, and called the doc. While I was on hold with them, I got another voicemail from Mrs. Wheeldon. Seems that penny was once a quarter, and then, a penny....and with confusion, she laid all the possible coins out on the table to identify. Verdict: NICKEL. (Dually noted, we need to address NOT eating coins AND work on identifying change............)

After an entertaining afternoon of retelling the story, and clearing this all with your doctor, it was decided to just let this change pass through your system, and Uncle Matt suggested that if you pooped out 5 pennies, we might want to call the doctor back.

Oh Emmalyn, you will NOT be outdone by your silly brothers.....and I can officially put on record that I NEVER dreamt my daughter would come to me, and say, "Mom, do you think this will be the poop my nickel comes out in?"..............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...