Skip to main content

Not to be outdone...

Emmalyn, remember about a year ago -- when Keaton broke his collarbone, I nearly died from the worst puking flu I've EVER had, and Colton and Dad got sick too, but you managed to be okay through all of this? And how you wouldn't go to school, were having some issues with this stressful time in our life?

Well, child, a year has passed and my dear one, you have found a way to cope with these things. Not to be outdone by your baby brother and his two trips to the ER and his stitches and follow up appointments, you made sure your middle child presence was known!

So, on Monday, I went to lunch with Nat & Stac, as we always do. (11:30. Moe's. Joey in a bowl. Pork. Pinto. Extra lettuce....you get the routine). Anyway, when we got in the car to leave, about 12:30, I saw a missed call from a 563 number, and thought it was weird....because it was the schools number. Let me just stop here and say I was NOT prepared for the next 15 minutes of my day. And poor Nat, sat next to me to witness all of it..............

"Mrs. Stockment, this is Mrs. Wheeldon, the nurse at Frontier Elementary, please call me back just as soon as you can, as I have Emmalyn here in my office"....

UGH, must be puking. Great. So I dial up, "Well, hello Mrs. Stockment. Thanks for calling me back. I've got Emmalyn here in my office, and I just wanted to make you aware of an incident"...(I'm now holding my breath waiting to hear about another injury, picturing a broken arm, need for more stitches, etc).

"Emmalyn seems to have swallowed a penny. She is fine, obviously a bit worked up, but she says that she can breath easily, and I have checked her out and it appears to be low enough in the tract that she isn't obstructed in any way, but I'd like you to call your doctor. Most will simply let it pass on it's own, but it's nice for them to be in the loop, should they want to do x-rays."

"um, okay....thank you for calling me. Is Emmalyn sitting there?"

"Sure, just a minute"

"Hi babe! What happened?? Why did you swallow a penny silly girl?"

"Mom, (now sobbing again) I was just sitting there listening to the story and Aliveah took it out of my back pocket and shoved it in my mouth!"

"Well, Em, settle down. I'm sure it was an accident. You don't need to be mean to Aliveah, you'll be fine and we'll just wait for it to come out in your (this is where I paused, realize Mrs. Wheeldon might be hearing our entire conversation and not wanting to sound 100% hillbilly, so I refrained myself from saying poop, and instead said)....................in the toilet!"

Fair enough. We hung up. Nat and I DIED laughing for a solid 10 minutes. I dropped her off, and called the doc. While I was on hold with them, I got another voicemail from Mrs. Wheeldon. Seems that penny was once a quarter, and then, a penny....and with confusion, she laid all the possible coins out on the table to identify. Verdict: NICKEL. (Dually noted, we need to address NOT eating coins AND work on identifying change............)

After an entertaining afternoon of retelling the story, and clearing this all with your doctor, it was decided to just let this change pass through your system, and Uncle Matt suggested that if you pooped out 5 pennies, we might want to call the doctor back.

Oh Emmalyn, you will NOT be outdone by your silly brothers.....and I can officially put on record that I NEVER dreamt my daughter would come to me, and say, "Mom, do you think this will be the poop my nickel comes out in?"..............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Two + Two + One more = FIVE

Yup, you read that right, by the end of July, the Stockment's will officially be a family of five. Jason and I learned in mid-November that we were expecting our third child and we were both overjoyed with the news. (More so than I thought Jason would be -- he wasn't convinced on having another (or should I say, not as convinced as I was), but once he saw that baby's heartbeating on the monitor at the docs office, he couldn't keep it a secret anymore!!) I convinced Jason to keep our news to immediate family, however, failed to remember that we have a VERY chatty 4 year old, and a 2 year old who repeats everything her big bro says! :) So, we told our families on a Tuesday evening (after our doc appointment that afternoon) and by Thursday, I think half of White County knew. If you attend or drop children off to attend Pam's daycare or Bright Beginnings Preschool, you were amongst the first to know! I had hoped for some elaborate scheme to tell both of our parents ...

Life's Beachy

What a whirlwind month March has been! From the baby reveal to birthday parties (Madi turning 3, Sawyer turning 2 and soon Brad & Debbie!), to Jason working weekend after weekend at his side job, to moving Matt & Sarah into their new home, to Jason getting a new job, to kindergarten round up, to preparing for Florida....whew! Yup, you read that right -- after 14 years with Bouma Betten, Jason is making a jump. He applied for a job with Monsanto in Remington, and was lucky enough to be offered the job just last week. I am so beyond proud of him -- he's not a resume/interview kind of guy, but he put his best foot forward and proved what a hard worker he is. He'll start there as a Seed Tech in mid-April and although it will mean big changes for him (and US!), it will be worth it. The benefits cannot be topped...vacation time, paid time off for sick leave, 401K, health -- all things he didn't have (or did have, but not great) in his current job. It will certainly be a...