Skip to main content

June....in a nutshell

So, occasionally throughout the month of June I'd think of you, dear blog. I'd snap pictures with you mind, my place to save memories and thoughts. And there were a LOT of thoughts in June. And even more memories. To be honest, I'm not even sure how we survived, or if my children got fed or bathed, but they are still all sitting here next to me, so we must have done something right.

June was the beginning of summer break, Emmalyn turning 6, two rounds of VBS, a short summer school remediation session for Colton, Emmalyn's birthday date, we planted our first garden, our first ever Volleyball tournament, Father's day celebrations, Aunt Sarah, Aunt Jess, Uncle Trent, Meredith's birthday celebrations, and a girls night out. Oh, and baseball. And tball. Lots of both of those. If you read that and are tired, so am I. I'm still sitting here in shock that it's actually July, because holy CRAP June went by in the blink of an eye. Oh, ya, and we survived a night of storms that brought 100mph winds to our tiny little town.

So where do I even begin in June?  Let's begin with where we spent a majority of the month....the baseball and softball fields.

Baseball - it's been a challenging year, to say the least, but I think Colton still had fun. He played some great ball, and he had a nice enough coach, but that's also our biggest disappointment. While a super nice guy, he didn't necessarily push the kids or teach them much. He kind of forgot this is the next league up from tball, so quite a different (more competitive) atmosphere. BUT, silver lining, we tried to focus on Colton and the older boys being leaders on the team, guiding the young kids, encouraging and teaching them, and being a good example. And I saw more of that out of Colton than I ever have before. He cheered on his teammates after they'd hit or strike out, and he and Isaac did a great job of calling the outs and chatting on the field. Of course, the proud Mom & Dad icing on the cake was there were maybe two games that you did NOT hit a homerun Colton! Those farmboy muscles are certainly paying off for you. Regular season came to an end, and you have been asked to play on the All Star team again, so it will be fun to keep watching baseball on into July. We are so proud of you -- no matter where you play, or how you do. We are proud because you try, and you give your best.





Emmalyn -- you hung pretty well considering your coach. You kind of got the short stick, but Karlie and I sure did have fun coaching you kids! You improved your game by learning how to focus, and follow the ball (again, when the game was moving. Which it isn't often, and there's lots of playing in the sand in tball....). You hit well off the machine, mastered your throw and continue to show great strides of improvement. I cherished being your coach these last two years, and cannot wait to watch you grow in the sport. Perhaps you'll be a center fielder like Momma!! (Reference farm "girl" muscles above...)





Keaton - although you really wanted to play baseball/tball this summer -- we decided you were a bit too young, and held you off. You were an excellent big brother at your sibs ballgames, as long as we were on field 2 (near the playground) or Campbell Pekney was at the games to help take care of you!!

Keaton - your biggest growth/change in the month of June was your maturity (can you even call it that with a 2 1/2 year old WILD MAN!?!?), and your vocabulary. You are a talking MACHINE!! It's so fun to hear you, and you have the BEST manners. I don't even harp on them with you, but you just get it. You must be the compassionate one. As for the "mature" statement, I just mean you are getting it. You are paying attention (does not mean you are listening) and you know what we are saying, recognizing how to get to our house, know to ask about going to Pam's, and say the darndest things. Enunciations are something you could stand to work on, but we're having a fun time figuring out your intentions.....for example, "I have a boytoy coming up".............is actually, "I have a birthday coming up!"

Okay -- I'll cover a few other key points from June in separate blog posts....but June, you came and went so fast, I'm not even sure I remember it all. But I remember my kids smiles, their joy crossing homeplate, their enthusiasm for VBS, and their love of outdoors, swimming and summertime. And those, those are the only memories we really need anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...