Skip to main content

Whoopie Pies

A few years ago (probably more than I care to admit to), my Grandma Hall and I embarked on an adventure in the kitchen. These were my favorite kinds of adventures with Grandma. She had so much wisdom when it came to cooking, baking, making from scratching and throwing things together. My fondest memories are with Grandma and food! :) As I approach the one year anniversary of her death, and as we enter her favorite time of year (Christmas), I've had a lot of memories come rolling back into my brain. Most of them bring a genuine smile to my face and a few make me sob like a baby because I miss her so much.

On this particular adventure with Grandma, we set out to make Whoopie Pies for the boys working in the fields. As was typical with Grandma, we didn't make a single batch, but rather doubled (or maybe even tripled) the batch. As the afternoon wore on, Grandma and I giggled and giggled as we continued to cover EVERY INCH of counter space in her kitchen with whoopie pies! We even had to set up a card table to have a place for the cookies to cool! That memory in particular is one of my favorites, and certainly one that makes me smile. Every time.

Yesterday, after a particularly long, emotional day, I arrived home, and got the mail. I opened the box to find a package from my Aunt Marsha. On the outside, it said, "book", so I knew what was in the package. I couldn't for the life of me, figure out what kind of book she'd be sending, however, if you know Aunt Marsha, you know she's got a big heart, and is so great about sending thoughtful little gifts out of the blue, simply because they reminded her of you! As I drove back our long drive, I ripped into the package, and immediately started crying.
Aunt Marsha had hit the nail on the head. She had seen this book, and remembered from Grandma's eulogy, where all of Grandma's grandkids shared their favorite memories, that one of my fondest memories, was making Whoopie Pies with Grandma. Her inscription - "I hope that this book reminds you of how much Grandma loved to bake for her grandkids" -- of course it will. I don't think any of us will soon forget that.

Now, I'm going to have to put a few items on my Christmas list that will help me successfully pull off a few of these fun & spunky Whoopie Pie recipes...but I can't wait to get home to my kitchen and to hopefully share the love of whoopie pies with my kids, and hopefully, someday..............................my own grandchildren!

Aunt Marsha -- thanks so much for thinking of me, and for bring back such a treasured memory. I miss Grandma each and every day, but know that she's watching down on us, and hopefully, guiding us to do the right thing, and live our lives full of love, just as she did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...