Skip to main content

"Isms"

Have you ever been told you have "isms"? We were just discussing an old counterpart here in our office, and how we miss him, even though he's just moved downstairs to another part of our division. We miss his "John-isms"...things he did that were funny or quirky about him.  Technically, I think we've all got them. As I started to think about this, I noticed my whole family has them. Thought they might be worth sharing...

"Kim-isms"
-- Even thought I know that cold air can escape over the TOP of our bathtub/shower, I still make sure that both sides of the plastic shower curtain are "stuck" to the ends of the tub. Do you know what I'm talking about -- I feel like if they are not, then cold air will come sneaking in and ruin my hot shower. I do believe that's a headgame I play with myself.

--I feel lost without my cell phone in the car. It makes me nervous. I'll go out of my way to go back home after dropping the kids off, if I realize I've left to go somewhere without it. Talk about a crutch that wasn't there 10 years ago. Imgaine how my own kids will be.

-- I cannot eat just one thing for a meal. (Hence the weight issue). I feel the need to have chips with a sandwich or carrot sticks or something, but I feel weird eating just a sandwich. It's like I need to alternate bites between two items. Weird. I know.

-- I like applesauce on a regular chip. I eat all the cheese/toppings off my pizza, then dip my crust in ranch. Everytime.

-- I clean my house 10x better if I'm wearing jeans and my tennis shoes as opposed to sweats & no shoes. 

That's enough about me. I'm sure there are plenty more. But you get what I'm saying.

"Jason-isms"
-- Jason cusses at the toilet in the morning while he's half asleep. Every morning. (Yes, it's hysterical. No, he's not a morning person.)

-- Jason insists on a nightly basis that we watch the hunting channels (that we pay additional money for). He also falls asleep to them, regularly. They must be thrilling. Perhaps it's cheaper than sleep-medicine?

-- I'm fairly confident our kids have dropped the words damnit, soley because of their Dad. And I think we can safely thank his Grandpa Bob for teaching him those prized words. Shit on the other hand, is courtesy of Aunt Nina. (And perhaps me...)

"Colton-isms"
--Colton changes his clothes to match his personality. It's no joke. Or, perhaps he wants to match whomever just came into our home. Perhaps his schizophrenic. I guess time will tell. Let's hope it's just because he's 3.
PS. He's teaching his sister to do the same. And since she can't technically change herself, he'll help her.


--Colton likes to do anything his Dad does. This can prove to be good and bad. I let you make your own assumptions.

-- Colton likes to announce to the world, that he has to poop. We're working on this one.

--Colton doesn't like tv. Try picking a birthday theme, or Christmas gift or birthday gift...when a young child isn't into tv. He'd rather hunt. He'd rather play basketball. This isn't a bad ism....it's just odd for a toddler to careless about TV. We'll be thankful for this ism someday.

"Emmalyn-isms"
--Emmalyn doesn't say a whole lot yet. I asked the sitter about it the other day, and she responded, "No, she doesn't say much, but she does have this "thing" about her". When I asked what it was, she said that Emmalyn greets every parent at the bottom of the stairs with their childs jackets, bookbags and coats. And she doesn't get it wrong. Ever. (She must have her mother's brains.)

-- Emmalyn must eat as soon as she walks in the door at night. Never mind the fact that Mom has been at work (away from home for 9 hours), and doesn't have a 5 course meal on the table. So we snack. And then she only eats a so/so dinner. What's the answer.

--Emmalyn loves her brother. She follows him everywhere. She does everything he encourages her to do. This worries me. We could really be in trouble in a few years.

"Kid-isms"
--The kids have a couple of isms they share. 
  -- Love of hats. The kids were hats. All the time. Without a reason. To match someone. To be silly. To be cool. It's crazy. It's ridiculous. It's fun.

-- They love popsicles and this is an ism they share with their Dad. Perhaps better titled a nightly ritual. We go through popsicles like crazy. I guess there are worse habits.



So see, we all have isms. I'm sure some we've had for years. Others, we acquire. Some stay and some go, but one thing is for sure. Our isms define who we are. Good or bad. Hopefully I had good isms.

And now I'm hungry for chips & applesauce! ;)

PS. Here's a cute picture of the kids playing in Ava's doghouse, recently. Just a cute picture to share. Really has no relavance to this post, other than that Emmalyn probably go in because of Colton. Or vice versa. Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to pin the blame on him...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...