Skip to main content

PT Conferences

1st Grade & Pre-K (4yo) Parent Teacher Conferences have come and gone, and we could not be any prouder of these two kiddos! I hope their passion for learning continues. It's always such a joy when you can visit with each of their teachers and talk about what they are doing well, and only have a few things that they need improvement on. Here are some highlights from each:

Emmalyn - 4yo Pre-K - Miss Amber, Frontier Elementary Preschool
 - She plays well with others, including those outside her carpool circle of friends.
 - She knew all but 3-4 lower case letters and all but 2 upper case letters
 - She counted out loud to 24 for Miss Amber, and she didn't skip 16, which she's been doing a lot lately at home when she counts out loud for me.
 - She loves zoophonics (we do too, such a great teaching tool!!)
 - She was originally writing her name/letters of her name in the shape of a box, but has since learned to straighten it out. She does a great job writing her name, and is starting to master her long last name. The teachers teased us that it's a good thing she's a girl...Emmalyn Stockment is a LONG name. I didn't mention that her middle name is Margaret! 24 letters total! Might as well write out the Alphabet!

 - The only thing they mentioned that she could work on, is drawing with detail. Miss Amber showed me a picture she drew of me....and I had two legs (long, skinny legs mind you...I was okay with that) and two eyeballs. Miss Amber said for the life of her she couldn't convince Emmalyn that my eyes should be situated in a head/circle shape. I told Miss Amber I couldn't blame Emmalyn...most nights my eyes are probably popping out of my head! HA HA!

Overall, Emmalyn, you are doing fantastic for a 4 year old. You're mastering your letter and letter sounds, and last night, you even read my shirt, and recognized that it said MOM on it. Keep up the great work, kiddo!

Colton - 1st Grade - Miss Shelton, Frontier Elementary School
 - He is fantastic at Math, and she can tell that he really enjoys it.
 - He does a great job of containing himself, and making good choices for himself. He really responds to her behavior chart (start at green with three chances to move up to the top (pink) or three chances to move down (to red). Colton averages green or above, and has only gotten a yellow (one below green) two times this fall! Such improvement over Kindergarten where we hovered on yellow a lot!
 - He plays well with others, but has a tendency to want to be the boss. Miss Shelton said she's asked him numerous times who the teacher is, just to remind him that he's not the teacher. (I told her we fight this at home too, as he often thinks it's his place to join in when we are disciplining Emmalyn....)
 - Colton's in the top level reading group, and does a fantastic job with Comprehension, but lacks the confidence when reading aloud. She encouraged us to do lots of flash cards to build up his word fluency, and to read, read, read!
- He got a 29/30 in his first 9 weeks comprehension, which tells us he's doing fantastic!! (Speaking of this...he was telling me the other night that he had to miss part of a presentation by the Conservation Officer attending his class, because he had to take a "hypertension" test. I immediately jumped to conclusions and thought, "Oh my gosh, are they testing him for ADHD and not telling me? Why didn't they ask me? Do they do this to all kids!?!"........so I asked Colton a few more questions, and he finally said, "Mom, I think it was an apprehension class. To see how much we know or something like that"............................ahh....a COMPREHENSION test. THANK GOODNESS!!! (Miss Shelton got a kick out of that. I can only imagine the things she hears these kids say during the course of a day!)

Fun stories:
 - Miss Shelton said Colton constantly keeps her on her toes. She said one day, he came to her and said, "Miss Shelton, I am supposed to ask you a question, but I don't think I should, but my Dad said I should."...........and of course, she encouraged him to continue. No question is a stupid question. "Ok, I really don't think I should ask, but will you marry my Uncle Trent?"...............she said she didn't see that coming for a million years! HA She politely declined stating that she's never even MET his Uncle Trent, so she probably shouldn't marry him yet!

Overall, both kids got fantastic reports. We still have a lot of work to do, but it's so rewarding to see both of their little minds growing and learning and they are both glad to do their homework at night. How are our babies old enough to be school aged and doing homework....I have a feeling I might never stop asking that question, "Where does the time go?".

Beyond proud, kiddos. Keep up the great work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...