Colton, I continue to be blown away (or mad) at what you are asked to achieve in FIRST GRADE. I think my clearest memory from 1st grade was doing a Mother Goose Play in Mrs. LeBeau's classroom at the end of the hallway, acting out all of our nursery rhymes for our parents. I also vaguely remember a red & black plaid phonics book.
Fast forward about 30 years....and you're doing math facts and word problems. You're writing stories with a BMMME set up (beginning, middle, middle, middle, end), and having to use proper punctuation. You've recently memorized the presidents, and sang a song in front of your class to earn a reward trip with Miss Shelton. Thanks for obliging when I asked you to sing for me/the camera, so we could record this precious moment in time....
You're currently working through...or should I say WE are currently working through a research journal on Warren G. Harding.
Don't get me wrong, you can totally handle with ease everything that's been thrown at you. I'm proud of the work you are accomplishing, I'm just sad that our society isn't letting you be little. That we are even asking you to write stories, and read so many minutes, and research a president at AGE SEVEN.
Maybe I'm just an underprepared parent of a 1st child in the school system. Maybe I didn't know what to expect. Maybe I'm dumb, and that's why all of this scares me for you. I mean, I thought I was good at holding off tutors for you until at least middle school. At this pace, hello 3rd grade!!
Regardless...I'm thankful for the cute pictures I get. For the moments when you are JUST SEVEN. Be little. We don't get these little years back and you have the next 12 years of your school career to do research and math facts and stupid ISTEP testing.
Keep up the great work kid.....and just be you. Just be seven.
Fast forward about 30 years....and you're doing math facts and word problems. You're writing stories with a BMMME set up (beginning, middle, middle, middle, end), and having to use proper punctuation. You've recently memorized the presidents, and sang a song in front of your class to earn a reward trip with Miss Shelton. Thanks for obliging when I asked you to sing for me/the camera, so we could record this precious moment in time....
You're currently working through...or should I say WE are currently working through a research journal on Warren G. Harding.
Don't get me wrong, you can totally handle with ease everything that's been thrown at you. I'm proud of the work you are accomplishing, I'm just sad that our society isn't letting you be little. That we are even asking you to write stories, and read so many minutes, and research a president at AGE SEVEN.
Maybe I'm just an underprepared parent of a 1st child in the school system. Maybe I didn't know what to expect. Maybe I'm dumb, and that's why all of this scares me for you. I mean, I thought I was good at holding off tutors for you until at least middle school. At this pace, hello 3rd grade!!
Regardless...I'm thankful for the cute pictures I get. For the moments when you are JUST SEVEN. Be little. We don't get these little years back and you have the next 12 years of your school career to do research and math facts and stupid ISTEP testing.
Keep up the great work kid.....and just be you. Just be seven.
I know! It is amazing what Dallas has accomplished this year as well. My mom likes to remind me that she remembers having to stand up and say the alphabet (not sing) in 1st grade. What I remember the most is learning to write my numbers to 500 before the Indy 500 was held (yea...at the end of the school year).
ReplyDeleteOn a side note - I'm sure you have heard this a time or two, but that pic of Colton with his goatee...I thought for sure that was Jason!