So, I might have earned Mom of the year award with my kids the week before Christmas, but likely not with their teachers. I mean, we made it to Tuesday with a 8-8:30pm bedtime...but Wednesday and Thursday? Not a chance. However, I deem it okay, because in stead of focusing on the gifts and shopping and Christmas hustle and bustle, we maintained another tradition that I am so happy to say is in it's 3rd year.
When Colton was in Kindergarten, I was scrolling Pinterest (what good mother doesn't at Christmas time. Don't answer that...a smart mother doesn't...but that's beside the point here) and came across this thing called #lightemup. It was ways for kids to give back in their communities. To light up the community through random acts of kindness. I loved the idea, but it's hard to apply California based suburban USA neighborhood random acts to .....Brookston. So, we improvised. We invited some friends, and coincidentally, their siblings.....asked them to bring a box of candy canes and dress warm. We gathered at the Federated Church, and made a game plan. Then we hit the streets (or, with about 10 5-6 year olds and a handful of toddlers....A street) and went door to door, singing Jingle Bells and handing out candy canes in the Senior Citizens apartments near the ballpark. WHAT a fun night we had. So much fun, that we've done it again as 1st graders, and now as 2nd graders and Kindergarteners.
I'm thrilled, because when I initially sent out the text request to join us.....no one took much interest. Though my kids were asking about it, I wasn't going to push. I know it's an already over-extended time of year. Then a week before school was out, they all texted back, "so when are we going"....so go we did. And this year, in my opinion, takes the cake for best "feel good" night so far. The kids were sincere. They sang loud. They laughed alot. And they made several of the elderly we visited smile.....even one man who said, "I just got out of the hospital today, and this absolutely made my day. Thank you". THAT my friends, is the spirit of Christmas and something no present under the tree will ever teach out kiddos.
Oh, and of course, by my kiddos request and by convenience of where she lives....we visited Aunt Rene again. And this year, she met us at the door with a bowl full of candy, as if this were Halloween (can anyone say, oh, Hi Grandma Hall...we've missed you....they are SO MUCH ALIKE), and when I went to hug her and wish her Merry Christmas, she promptly shoved a $20 in my pocket and would NOT take it back. (Again, SO GRANDMA HALL....they must be sisters! HA)
It was magical. It was fun. What great memories for the kids......and us adults. Oh, and they got McDonalds, so that was probably a highlight too!
We came home and snuggled up on the couch with Kendall, whom Keaton was VERY happy to see, while her Mom & Dad were at BC watching Clayton play basketball. So glad she could join us.
The next day, thankfully, was an easy day at school, but a BIG day no less. Afterall, the day before Christmas break for Kindergartners is RUDOLPH DAY! I had such a great time helping Emmalyn and her classmades decorate & snack on sugar cookies and icing (at 9am)! We had such a fun morning together, and the kiddos got to meet SANTA!
Miss Em's big day ended with a shopping trip with Daddy...while the boys and I chilled out at home. Much like her big brother, she wanted everything camo and from Rural King, but thankfully, Daddy talked her into a few toys to put under our tree for the boys. She came home juiced up on Wendy's Frosty's and Pizza.....a great end to a great date indeed.
Satuday...as we hadn't done enough in 48 hours to burn us out yet....we gathered up all our Christmas is coming/vacation just started energy, and headed to Grandma Jacki's for a day of baking treats and candies with Grandma, Aunt Jess & the girls. Oh, and Grandpa showed up just in time to go buy the groceries we forgot, and then fix us cocktails upon his return! What are Grandpa's for?
To top off our late week/weekend of giving, the bigs and I signed up to ring the bell for Salvation Army through the church....so we headed to Remington Saturday evening and stood outside the IGA in 31 degree weather and rang the bell from 6-7pm. The kids did great, and minus one trip to the bathroom for Colton, they rang those bells without complaint, asking how much longer, or when can we stop. They wished people Merry Christmas and did their part to help spread cheer, all while learning about raising money for those in need. I was proud and it was a great experience. Hopefully, next year, Daddy & Keaton can join us!
See that sweet face? He nearly sent me to the nut house by Sunday morning. Jason had to work all the weekend before Christmas (all day Saturday & most of Sunday at Grand), and I was manning church, sunday school/coffee hour and Christmas program rehearsal BY. MY. SELF. Church was fine. Coffee Hour.....not. At all. But he looks so sweet....right?
Self, lest you forget too soon, this is the Sunday in life where at the end of Mass, as Grandpa (and all his confidence) offered to take Keaton to communion and you found yourself praying more for Grandpa to CARRY Keaton than to let him walk beside him, for fear that he might dart to the front of the church, up on to the alter and around the back hallway before anyone could stop him. Remember, he is 2 1/2 and he thinks running is a game. A fun one. Mom disagrees. Regardless, while praying this prayer, you got a glimpse of your past, and those boys, Dolick boys, who used to run up on the alter while Mr. Benner was doing the Sunday readings, and their Dad just sat there like a zombie not knowing what to do. Hey, Dolick Dad. I feel you dude. I totally feel you.
Embarassed, I quickly pushed that thought out of my head, and Dad *thankfully* carried Keaton to communion. Alls well that ends well. Until coffee hour. And the darting. To the other end of the basement. Up the stairs. Past the kids going to confession. Past the choir practicing. Straight to the alter, up the steps and into the manger to "pet the cows". Not just once ya'll. Twice. Twice. I finally, through near tears & red cheeks, grabbed up our stuff, offered for Harry to join us and banished to the van to watch John Deere movies. (WHAT did our parents do before these times?) (Yes, Grandpa, he did get a spanking....he laughs at me....) As we go back in to finish up and pick up the big kids from Program Practice, Joe Demerly leans over and says, "Jeez, Kim, you got a Dolick on your hands?" and I embarassingly laugh at his joke, while in my head going, "OMG....he thinks it too!"......and though Joe meant me NO HARM in his statement, the fact that he thought it and said it and I had JUST had that thought myself.....might have caused tears all the way to Grandma's house, where we were picking up some things we forgot. #momof3mentalbreakdown. Colton consoled me on the way home though, Mom, I mean, MAYBE he'll be better when he's three?"....one can only hope, Colton. One can only hope.
Keaton -- you are joy. you are chaos. Lots of chaos. You are snuggles and I love you's and thank you's and peez. You are sorry as soon as you do something (or, as soon as I put you in the corner) and you are SMART. Lord I know you're smart, because I know you hear every word and your ornery self chooses to do some things anyway.....but we love you. All chaotic 2 1/2 years of you. But the running and being a crazy animal during coffee hour....ya need to stop that or your Momma is gonna end up in the nut house.
When Colton was in Kindergarten, I was scrolling Pinterest (what good mother doesn't at Christmas time. Don't answer that...a smart mother doesn't...but that's beside the point here) and came across this thing called #lightemup. It was ways for kids to give back in their communities. To light up the community through random acts of kindness. I loved the idea, but it's hard to apply California based suburban USA neighborhood random acts to .....Brookston. So, we improvised. We invited some friends, and coincidentally, their siblings.....asked them to bring a box of candy canes and dress warm. We gathered at the Federated Church, and made a game plan. Then we hit the streets (or, with about 10 5-6 year olds and a handful of toddlers....A street) and went door to door, singing Jingle Bells and handing out candy canes in the Senior Citizens apartments near the ballpark. WHAT a fun night we had. So much fun, that we've done it again as 1st graders, and now as 2nd graders and Kindergarteners.
I'm thrilled, because when I initially sent out the text request to join us.....no one took much interest. Though my kids were asking about it, I wasn't going to push. I know it's an already over-extended time of year. Then a week before school was out, they all texted back, "so when are we going"....so go we did. And this year, in my opinion, takes the cake for best "feel good" night so far. The kids were sincere. They sang loud. They laughed alot. And they made several of the elderly we visited smile.....even one man who said, "I just got out of the hospital today, and this absolutely made my day. Thank you". THAT my friends, is the spirit of Christmas and something no present under the tree will ever teach out kiddos.
Oh, and of course, by my kiddos request and by convenience of where she lives....we visited Aunt Rene again. And this year, she met us at the door with a bowl full of candy, as if this were Halloween (can anyone say, oh, Hi Grandma Hall...we've missed you....they are SO MUCH ALIKE), and when I went to hug her and wish her Merry Christmas, she promptly shoved a $20 in my pocket and would NOT take it back. (Again, SO GRANDMA HALL....they must be sisters! HA)
It was magical. It was fun. What great memories for the kids......and us adults. Oh, and they got McDonalds, so that was probably a highlight too!
We came home and snuggled up on the couch with Kendall, whom Keaton was VERY happy to see, while her Mom & Dad were at BC watching Clayton play basketball. So glad she could join us.
The next day, thankfully, was an easy day at school, but a BIG day no less. Afterall, the day before Christmas break for Kindergartners is RUDOLPH DAY! I had such a great time helping Emmalyn and her classmades decorate & snack on sugar cookies and icing (at 9am)! We had such a fun morning together, and the kiddos got to meet SANTA!
Miss Em's big day ended with a shopping trip with Daddy...while the boys and I chilled out at home. Much like her big brother, she wanted everything camo and from Rural King, but thankfully, Daddy talked her into a few toys to put under our tree for the boys. She came home juiced up on Wendy's Frosty's and Pizza.....a great end to a great date indeed.
Satuday...as we hadn't done enough in 48 hours to burn us out yet....we gathered up all our Christmas is coming/vacation just started energy, and headed to Grandma Jacki's for a day of baking treats and candies with Grandma, Aunt Jess & the girls. Oh, and Grandpa showed up just in time to go buy the groceries we forgot, and then fix us cocktails upon his return! What are Grandpa's for?
To top off our late week/weekend of giving, the bigs and I signed up to ring the bell for Salvation Army through the church....so we headed to Remington Saturday evening and stood outside the IGA in 31 degree weather and rang the bell from 6-7pm. The kids did great, and minus one trip to the bathroom for Colton, they rang those bells without complaint, asking how much longer, or when can we stop. They wished people Merry Christmas and did their part to help spread cheer, all while learning about raising money for those in need. I was proud and it was a great experience. Hopefully, next year, Daddy & Keaton can join us!
See that sweet face? He nearly sent me to the nut house by Sunday morning. Jason had to work all the weekend before Christmas (all day Saturday & most of Sunday at Grand), and I was manning church, sunday school/coffee hour and Christmas program rehearsal BY. MY. SELF. Church was fine. Coffee Hour.....not. At all. But he looks so sweet....right?
Self, lest you forget too soon, this is the Sunday in life where at the end of Mass, as Grandpa (and all his confidence) offered to take Keaton to communion and you found yourself praying more for Grandpa to CARRY Keaton than to let him walk beside him, for fear that he might dart to the front of the church, up on to the alter and around the back hallway before anyone could stop him. Remember, he is 2 1/2 and he thinks running is a game. A fun one. Mom disagrees. Regardless, while praying this prayer, you got a glimpse of your past, and those boys, Dolick boys, who used to run up on the alter while Mr. Benner was doing the Sunday readings, and their Dad just sat there like a zombie not knowing what to do. Hey, Dolick Dad. I feel you dude. I totally feel you.
Embarassed, I quickly pushed that thought out of my head, and Dad *thankfully* carried Keaton to communion. Alls well that ends well. Until coffee hour. And the darting. To the other end of the basement. Up the stairs. Past the kids going to confession. Past the choir practicing. Straight to the alter, up the steps and into the manger to "pet the cows". Not just once ya'll. Twice. Twice. I finally, through near tears & red cheeks, grabbed up our stuff, offered for Harry to join us and banished to the van to watch John Deere movies. (WHAT did our parents do before these times?) (Yes, Grandpa, he did get a spanking....he laughs at me....) As we go back in to finish up and pick up the big kids from Program Practice, Joe Demerly leans over and says, "Jeez, Kim, you got a Dolick on your hands?" and I embarassingly laugh at his joke, while in my head going, "OMG....he thinks it too!"......and though Joe meant me NO HARM in his statement, the fact that he thought it and said it and I had JUST had that thought myself.....might have caused tears all the way to Grandma's house, where we were picking up some things we forgot. #momof3mentalbreakdown. Colton consoled me on the way home though, Mom, I mean, MAYBE he'll be better when he's three?"....one can only hope, Colton. One can only hope.
Keaton -- you are joy. you are chaos. Lots of chaos. You are snuggles and I love you's and thank you's and peez. You are sorry as soon as you do something (or, as soon as I put you in the corner) and you are SMART. Lord I know you're smart, because I know you hear every word and your ornery self chooses to do some things anyway.....but we love you. All chaotic 2 1/2 years of you. But the running and being a crazy animal during coffee hour....ya need to stop that or your Momma is gonna end up in the nut house.
Comments
Post a Comment