What is it about cleaning on a Saturday, that makes me so reminscent?
And it's not something I can easily turn and blame on pregnancy or
being a mom...I've been this way since high school. I guess I'm just a
nostalgic kind of person. I can remember helping Mom clean growing up,
and she always knew not to give me too important of a task, because it
wouldn't be long and I'd be off task. One particular instance I'll never
forget, and perhaps it's because Mom brings it up alot -- is a Saturday
afternoon when Mom asked me to simply dust the house for her. Dust.
It's easy. It requires a can of pledge and an old rag. You spray, you
wipe, you move on. These were the tasks my mother entrusted me with. I'd
dusted the in the living room, with no problem, but as I moved into the
formal living room, I found an old photo book. I started flipping the
pages, and looking at pictures. While doing that, I decided that I
wanted to make a batch of cookies. Remember....at this point, I had one
room dusted...out of many! Finally, 1/2 way through mixing up cookie
dough, Mom comes in and asked if I'd forgotten what I was doing.
Obviously, dusting didn't interest me like photos & cookies.
We're having friends over tonight, and our house is in dire need of cleaning. So, Jason took Colton and they are out running around today, so that I can focus on getting this house cleaned up. No problem. He got the majority of the upstairs whipped for me before he left, so really, my only task is to tackle the downstairs. I can say this -- it's dusted, bathroom cleaned, and everything is picked up. 1/2 the rooms are swept. As I was dusting, I decided to pop in my old FFA State Convention video. ( I know that I did this, because lately, I've been tripping over my words alot. It's like I can't speak a clean sentence to save my life. And, I told Jason how I felt like I was at the top of my game and went around giving speeches, talking in public when I was an FFA officer. How is it that I could speak so well then (and I don't mean I was good...but I could at least get a full sentence out that made sense...) and people enjoyed listening to what I had to say, and now, I can't even make a joke without discombobulating my words?? So, I think I wanted to watch that video to remind myself that I did have a keen ability for speaking, and to remind myself that I did at one time have an A game...obviously, the grades have dropped since then. So of course, now my pace has slowed, because I'm trying to watch the video and keep cleaning. Again with the nostagia? Why is it that when I clean, I feel the need to go back in time and remind myself that I'm still okay. I even about cried...because how weird to think of how life was then, adn how life is now. I have a husband, a kid, a dog, a farm and a full time job for crying out loud! I didn't have any of that back then. Just a blue courduroy jacket that for some reason, made me feel like I was on top of the world when I put it on. (Jessica, I know you are snickering to yourself as you read this, because you totally don't understand the whole FFA thing...but I'm here to tell you, there was something about that jacket...). And I think I can speak for all 7 of us, when I say that we even had kids who looked up to us, which I'm sorry, you just can't beat. They cheered for us as if we were famous. They wanted pictures with us. We made a difference in their lives...even though we probably didn't realize it at the time. Now, granted, I'm sure Colton looks up to both Jason and I that way, but he can't verbalize it yet, so that doesn't count. See...I get nostalgic. I'll be the first to admit that I miss being young. I miss having no worries (well, not important ones anyway...). I miss not having to pay bills (Thanks Mom & Dad). I miss knowing that I made a difference in the lives of other people. On the flipside of that, Colton has brought around some of those feelings that I was missing. He makes me feel needed. I know he looks up to us even though he can't express it yet. And, although I worry about him, it's the most rewarding kind of worry. I credit that to Grandma Hall...I get those worry genes honest! Regardless, whenever I need a pick me up, I pop in that old FFA tape, because truly, what a year to remember. I was blessed to have had that opportunity, and to get to do all the things I did. We met so many cool people, and had so many great adventures. It was truly like real world, living with 6 others I hardly knew when we first moved in. It was a very cool experience in my life, one that I would not change for anything, and often, think that I take forgranted.
So now...instead of finishing up sweeping and mopping like I should be...I've decided to take the time to blog about my weird cleaning habits. Again, totally random. Totally not productive toward the goal I set out to accomplish about 4 hours ago... I got all nostalgic, and sappy...I guess sometimes I just like to remember & cry. What can I say.
I'd also like to add one more thing. Not related at all to the above topic. (Yes, I'm probably one of the most random people you'll ever meet -- ask Jason.) I have grey hairs. Lots of them. Not a random hair here or there, but a lot of them. If I try to pull my hair back... you can see them. I would like to say this right now -- Thanks Harry. Thanks. I do not remember my father having any other color of hair than a grayish white. It's gorgeous on him, don't get me wrong. You can always find him in a crowd, and he wears white well. Me...I'm totally freaking out that by 30, I could be totally white. At this rate, it's bound to happen. Again, I'll have to credit a Hall gene that was passed down to me on this one. Aunts, face it...if it weren't for the wonders of hair color, you'd all be in the same boat as my dad. Move over, because I'm about to get onboard your boat. If I become totally blonde or brunette here before too long, it's to cover up the greys. Seriously folks...I'm 26. I'm not old enough to have this many gray hairs!!!
I wish I had more pictures to post, but Jason has my camera. And he's on his way home. He'll flip when he finds out I haven't finished cleaning in all the time he's given me "baby-free" to concentrate on cleaning! Better get back at it! And yes, I've now shut off the FFA video! HA :)
We're having friends over tonight, and our house is in dire need of cleaning. So, Jason took Colton and they are out running around today, so that I can focus on getting this house cleaned up. No problem. He got the majority of the upstairs whipped for me before he left, so really, my only task is to tackle the downstairs. I can say this -- it's dusted, bathroom cleaned, and everything is picked up. 1/2 the rooms are swept. As I was dusting, I decided to pop in my old FFA State Convention video. ( I know that I did this, because lately, I've been tripping over my words alot. It's like I can't speak a clean sentence to save my life. And, I told Jason how I felt like I was at the top of my game and went around giving speeches, talking in public when I was an FFA officer. How is it that I could speak so well then (and I don't mean I was good...but I could at least get a full sentence out that made sense...) and people enjoyed listening to what I had to say, and now, I can't even make a joke without discombobulating my words?? So, I think I wanted to watch that video to remind myself that I did have a keen ability for speaking, and to remind myself that I did at one time have an A game...obviously, the grades have dropped since then. So of course, now my pace has slowed, because I'm trying to watch the video and keep cleaning. Again with the nostagia? Why is it that when I clean, I feel the need to go back in time and remind myself that I'm still okay. I even about cried...because how weird to think of how life was then, adn how life is now. I have a husband, a kid, a dog, a farm and a full time job for crying out loud! I didn't have any of that back then. Just a blue courduroy jacket that for some reason, made me feel like I was on top of the world when I put it on. (Jessica, I know you are snickering to yourself as you read this, because you totally don't understand the whole FFA thing...but I'm here to tell you, there was something about that jacket...). And I think I can speak for all 7 of us, when I say that we even had kids who looked up to us, which I'm sorry, you just can't beat. They cheered for us as if we were famous. They wanted pictures with us. We made a difference in their lives...even though we probably didn't realize it at the time. Now, granted, I'm sure Colton looks up to both Jason and I that way, but he can't verbalize it yet, so that doesn't count. See...I get nostalgic. I'll be the first to admit that I miss being young. I miss having no worries (well, not important ones anyway...). I miss not having to pay bills (Thanks Mom & Dad). I miss knowing that I made a difference in the lives of other people. On the flipside of that, Colton has brought around some of those feelings that I was missing. He makes me feel needed. I know he looks up to us even though he can't express it yet. And, although I worry about him, it's the most rewarding kind of worry. I credit that to Grandma Hall...I get those worry genes honest! Regardless, whenever I need a pick me up, I pop in that old FFA tape, because truly, what a year to remember. I was blessed to have had that opportunity, and to get to do all the things I did. We met so many cool people, and had so many great adventures. It was truly like real world, living with 6 others I hardly knew when we first moved in. It was a very cool experience in my life, one that I would not change for anything, and often, think that I take forgranted.
So now...instead of finishing up sweeping and mopping like I should be...I've decided to take the time to blog about my weird cleaning habits. Again, totally random. Totally not productive toward the goal I set out to accomplish about 4 hours ago... I got all nostalgic, and sappy...I guess sometimes I just like to remember & cry. What can I say.
I'd also like to add one more thing. Not related at all to the above topic. (Yes, I'm probably one of the most random people you'll ever meet -- ask Jason.) I have grey hairs. Lots of them. Not a random hair here or there, but a lot of them. If I try to pull my hair back... you can see them. I would like to say this right now -- Thanks Harry. Thanks. I do not remember my father having any other color of hair than a grayish white. It's gorgeous on him, don't get me wrong. You can always find him in a crowd, and he wears white well. Me...I'm totally freaking out that by 30, I could be totally white. At this rate, it's bound to happen. Again, I'll have to credit a Hall gene that was passed down to me on this one. Aunts, face it...if it weren't for the wonders of hair color, you'd all be in the same boat as my dad. Move over, because I'm about to get onboard your boat. If I become totally blonde or brunette here before too long, it's to cover up the greys. Seriously folks...I'm 26. I'm not old enough to have this many gray hairs!!!
I wish I had more pictures to post, but Jason has my camera. And he's on his way home. He'll flip when he finds out I haven't finished cleaning in all the time he's given me "baby-free" to concentrate on cleaning! Better get back at it! And yes, I've now shut off the FFA video! HA :)
Comments
Post a Comment