Growing up, anyone who is related to Grandma Hall would agree -- there was one rule for church...NO CHEWING GUM!!!! Anytime that we chewed gum on the drive to church, we had to find a way to get rid of it before even stepping foot into the church doors.
When Jason joined the Catholic church the summer before we got married, I tried to instill in him this rule of no gum in church. Sometimes he'd get it, and sometimes I'd catch him halfway through mass, chomping away, and would give him that evil scowl which read "Grandma Hall would NOT approve". He'd even make the comment occasionally, "I don't have to not chew gum, just because that is your Grandma's rule"..........except, that's where he's wrong.
He's done significantly better over the years...only sneaking in a piece here or there, but always getting rid of it by communion. Until this last Sunday.
Colton has become VERY aware of gum. He loves it when we spoil him with a little piece, and for the most part, does very well with it, considering he's 2.5. The biggest problem we have with him, is swallowing it. On Sunday, I thought I'd left the collection envelope in the car, so I stayed in church while Jason ran to the car to get it. While searching, he must have come across Colton's emergency "be good" stash of bubble gum -- and decided to have a piece. I immediately picked up on the chomping when he came back, and quickly sent him that evil look of, "get rid of it". In the mean time...in the quiet prayer time before mass gets started, our beautiful little two year old, in his best OUTSIDE voice says....
"Daddy, what's in your mouth?"
"Is it gum, I want some!!"
"Daddy...why are you chewing gum...can I have some?"
I just grinned my biggest grin. I knew that Grandma Hall had worked her little angel self into Colton to publicly call Jason out about chewing gum in church. Those around us kind of snickered when Colton called him out, and Jason's face got somewhat red. I learned in that moment two things -- not chewing gum in church must be a universal rule and a 2.5 year old really knows how to put you in your place.
Not long after that moment....the gum was gone! ;)
When Jason joined the Catholic church the summer before we got married, I tried to instill in him this rule of no gum in church. Sometimes he'd get it, and sometimes I'd catch him halfway through mass, chomping away, and would give him that evil scowl which read "Grandma Hall would NOT approve". He'd even make the comment occasionally, "I don't have to not chew gum, just because that is your Grandma's rule"..........except, that's where he's wrong.
He's done significantly better over the years...only sneaking in a piece here or there, but always getting rid of it by communion. Until this last Sunday.
Colton has become VERY aware of gum. He loves it when we spoil him with a little piece, and for the most part, does very well with it, considering he's 2.5. The biggest problem we have with him, is swallowing it. On Sunday, I thought I'd left the collection envelope in the car, so I stayed in church while Jason ran to the car to get it. While searching, he must have come across Colton's emergency "be good" stash of bubble gum -- and decided to have a piece. I immediately picked up on the chomping when he came back, and quickly sent him that evil look of, "get rid of it". In the mean time...in the quiet prayer time before mass gets started, our beautiful little two year old, in his best OUTSIDE voice says....
"Daddy, what's in your mouth?"
"Is it gum, I want some!!"
"Daddy...why are you chewing gum...can I have some?"
I just grinned my biggest grin. I knew that Grandma Hall had worked her little angel self into Colton to publicly call Jason out about chewing gum in church. Those around us kind of snickered when Colton called him out, and Jason's face got somewhat red. I learned in that moment two things -- not chewing gum in church must be a universal rule and a 2.5 year old really knows how to put you in your place.
Not long after that moment....the gum was gone! ;)
Comments
Post a Comment