Last Thursday, Jason and I had the opportunity to go to the Lady Antebellum Concert, here at Purdue. In a STRANGE turn of events, I admitted my age, and asked Abbie, a girl I used to babysit for, to now babysit my own kids. Talk about feeling like an old person. It really doesn't feel like that long ago that I was babysitting her, and now she's able to take great care of my kids. What's even better - she can drive herself to and from our home...which means that once we get home from a night out, we can stay there! :) And, what's better than anything, is that my kids love her, and she does a great job with them. She even baked cupcakes with Colton because she knew Jason's birthday was this past weekend. Anyway -- they got along great.
Fast forward to Saturday afternoon. I'd had to work all morning and basically skidded home in time to fix the kiddos a quick lunch and battle enforcing naptime while Jason helped Seth. I knew naptime was a must, because we were having a little weenie roast for Jason's birthday that night. After about two trips BACK downstairs for various reasons ("Mommy, I need to brush my teeth" or "Mommy, just one more kiss and hug"), I thought I finally had Colton put down for a nap and I could get a few things done. Emmalyn was chilling nicely in her bouncy seat, so I was set to take advantage of the time. Next thing I know..I hear Colton's footsteps coming back downstairs. I meet him in the stairwell, where he's parked it about 4 steps from the bottom.
"Colton, what are you doing? You are supposed to be in bed!"
"Um, Mommy, I, I just wanted to ask you - how was your concert?"
I seriously could not hold back the smile....how on earth was I supposed to remain stern? WHERE did this come from, and WHEN did my 2 1/2 year old become so grown up to ask a question like that? And it only got better.
"It was fun, now go to bed. It's naptime"
"Who did you see there?"
"Lady Antebellum Colton, now go....back upstairs!"
"Did you like them Mommy?"
"Yes, we did. We had a nice time. Now, get your heiny back upstairs, young man....it's naptime!"
"Ok, I just wanted to make sure you had fun, Mother..." (with extreme emphasis on MOTHER, as he turned around to go back upstairs.)
Thankfully...he didn't come back down again, and I could get a good laugh out of our little interaction. What a squirt....he sure knows what to say to buy himself some time...
Fast forward to Saturday afternoon. I'd had to work all morning and basically skidded home in time to fix the kiddos a quick lunch and battle enforcing naptime while Jason helped Seth. I knew naptime was a must, because we were having a little weenie roast for Jason's birthday that night. After about two trips BACK downstairs for various reasons ("Mommy, I need to brush my teeth" or "Mommy, just one more kiss and hug"), I thought I finally had Colton put down for a nap and I could get a few things done. Emmalyn was chilling nicely in her bouncy seat, so I was set to take advantage of the time. Next thing I know..I hear Colton's footsteps coming back downstairs. I meet him in the stairwell, where he's parked it about 4 steps from the bottom.
"Colton, what are you doing? You are supposed to be in bed!"
"Um, Mommy, I, I just wanted to ask you - how was your concert?"
I seriously could not hold back the smile....how on earth was I supposed to remain stern? WHERE did this come from, and WHEN did my 2 1/2 year old become so grown up to ask a question like that? And it only got better.
"It was fun, now go to bed. It's naptime"
"Who did you see there?"
"Lady Antebellum Colton, now go....back upstairs!"
"Did you like them Mommy?"
"Yes, we did. We had a nice time. Now, get your heiny back upstairs, young man....it's naptime!"
"Ok, I just wanted to make sure you had fun, Mother..." (with extreme emphasis on MOTHER, as he turned around to go back upstairs.)
Thankfully...he didn't come back down again, and I could get a good laugh out of our little interaction. What a squirt....he sure knows what to say to buy himself some time...
hahaha...that is cute! So glad to see you've joined blogger! Keep the stories comin'! ;)
ReplyDelete