Well, the Stockment's have officially jumped onto the Sports Days train! So hard to believe that Colton is old enough to be playing some organized sports, but let me tell you, it couldn't have come soon enough! Such a little outdoorsman, this kid just LOVES sports of any kind. I would have to say that I think Baseball and Basketball will be his favorites, which is quite okay with this Momma! Fieldwork/Farmer in the fall, followed by ball and more ball! :)
After the kids initial skills day got rained out (remember my last post...RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!), the kids finally had their first practice on the Friday night before Opening Day (Saturday). Talk about excited beyond control. I asked Pam to count that day how many times Colton brought up baseball/tee-ball and she said by breakfast (8am) she'd lost track! I'm sure it was a LONG day for Pammy! :) Practice went well, and that evening, as I tucked Colton into bed, I reminded him, "Do not get up before I do in the morning!"...because I just KNEW he'd be up with the birds beyond excited and the earlier he got up, the LONGER he'd have to wait until his 11:30pictures/12:30 game. Sure enough, that morning I felt someone breathing on me, and finally a tap to the shoulder. I opened my eyes to this:
 |
| "Mom. Look. I'm all dressed for my game!" |
And that he was. Fully dressed. A good 4.5 hours before he needed to be. Bless him. I will give him a bit of credit. Despite going out a few times (after I told him NOT to, to avoid getting dirty pre-pictures!) he did manage to keep clean, and about 11:15 we left for town.
Pictures went quickly, and my amateur shots turned out okay, but I'm anxious to get the "real" version back soon!
 |
| Such a cute little baseball player! |
 |
| The whole team! |
|
|
Colton did a great job in the fielding portion of opening day. Although, we got a good laugh out of the "magnets they must have been in his cleats" ... according to Grandpa Kent! :) As per typical with tee-ball, when a kid hit, the ENTIRE TEAM rushed to field the ball. On the couple of occasions that Colton knew he wouldn't get to it, he would immediately turn and run back to the line in the sand that they'd drawn for him near the pitching machine! HA EVERY. TIME. Finally, Coach Ed gave Colton a quick heads up that if you do get the ball, go to 1st base with it. He must have forgotten you have to be VERY clear with a 5 year old, because when he did finally field the ball, he didn't just toss it to 1st, he personally ran it over there to deliver the ball/try to tag the runner out. However, this was an improvement over the 1st time he was the one to stop the ball. He simply handed it back to the guy running the pitching machine! :) HA So much fun to watch.

As for the hitting portion, he did a fantastic job. He didn't get a hit off the pitching machine (he had in practice the night before, so he was pretty bummed) but he did get a good hit off the tee. So, all in all, he was pretty pleased! I think having Sawyer and Emmalyn standing at the fence hollering his name and "cheering" for him, likely didn't help his 5 year old concentration level! ;)
So proud of my kiddo -- he's really excited and trying really hard. I did tell him though, this past Tuesday after his second practice, that he'd blown his cover. He gave me a quizzical look and I said, "Well, I watched you today, and you did a FANTASTIC job of listening to your coach. You did everything you were asked and followed directions very well. Now I know you're quite capable of doing that for me. I have PROOF that those listening ears really do work"................he just gave me that devilish grin and knew I'd caught him! :) Its going to be a FUN season!
Comments
Post a Comment