We should have seen this coming. We've always said that dear Colton has been far too easy for a little boy. He's fairly well behaved. He's 4 and just NOW starting to be defiant (yay for those fun times) and all in all he's a wonderful big brother to Emmalyn. We've even had friends and neighbors comment on how good to each other they are. Heart warming, isn't it?
He hasn't made any big messes or done anything that just made us want to cringe.......UNTIL last weekend. Jason was working all weekend and at the same time, gearing up to go on a 6 day snowmobiling trip. I suppose maybe THAT is what had Colton out of sorts. Or perhaps I could blame preschool...after all, it's teaching him confidence he didn't realize he had. As well as teaching him to use scissors. (Although, I still prefer to blame my cousin Erin for that trick, who let him randomly play with scissors as if he was 8 when my grandma passed away two years ago. Do the math. He was barely 2. In typical Erin fashion...she just giggled....and played dumb. Thank goodness her laugh is contagious.)
So, last Saturday evening we shared a nice meal together, and as I was cleaning up, Emmalyn was destroying the toybox and dining room floor, and Jason was doing his nightly weather check via the internet -- Colton found some time to quietly disappear. Next thing I know -- Jason's hollering for me to "come here", and I put him off a minute or two, because I was in the middle of dishes. He hollered again, so this time I thought maybe something was wrong, so I went to see what was up. There he stood, in the bathroom with Colton giving me that half smile/half I screwed up/half I'm too cute for my own good look -- and that is when I saw the scissors, chunks of hair and well.................had to turn my head so I didn't bust out laughing.
It's every parents nightmare, and here it was...he'd cut his own hair. So, we talked about how he isn't to play with scissors and cleaned it up and then went on and on about how he'd have to get a bad haircut and that his friends wouldnt like it, etc, etc etc. Guilt city. What did he do when we buzzed his head...he grinned and quickly said, "Huh, now I look like Pam's Tim" -- proud as punch of his new do. Backfire.
It wasn't until later, as Jason helped me finish up the dishes, that he told me the funnest part of the whole story. Apparently, to get Jason's attention and alert him to what he'd done - he peeked his head around the corner from the living room into the dining room and quietly, in a sing-song voice, said, "Gave myself a little haircut" -- which of course, got Jason's attention. The rest is history. And we're still laughing at the ornery little shit.
And thanking our lucky stars that he didn't touch his sisters pretty little blond curls! :)
He hasn't made any big messes or done anything that just made us want to cringe.......UNTIL last weekend. Jason was working all weekend and at the same time, gearing up to go on a 6 day snowmobiling trip. I suppose maybe THAT is what had Colton out of sorts. Or perhaps I could blame preschool...after all, it's teaching him confidence he didn't realize he had. As well as teaching him to use scissors. (Although, I still prefer to blame my cousin Erin for that trick, who let him randomly play with scissors as if he was 8 when my grandma passed away two years ago. Do the math. He was barely 2. In typical Erin fashion...she just giggled....and played dumb. Thank goodness her laugh is contagious.)
So, last Saturday evening we shared a nice meal together, and as I was cleaning up, Emmalyn was destroying the toybox and dining room floor, and Jason was doing his nightly weather check via the internet -- Colton found some time to quietly disappear. Next thing I know -- Jason's hollering for me to "come here", and I put him off a minute or two, because I was in the middle of dishes. He hollered again, so this time I thought maybe something was wrong, so I went to see what was up. There he stood, in the bathroom with Colton giving me that half smile/half I screwed up/half I'm too cute for my own good look -- and that is when I saw the scissors, chunks of hair and well.................had to turn my head so I didn't bust out laughing.
It's every parents nightmare, and here it was...he'd cut his own hair. So, we talked about how he isn't to play with scissors and cleaned it up and then went on and on about how he'd have to get a bad haircut and that his friends wouldnt like it, etc, etc etc. Guilt city. What did he do when we buzzed his head...he grinned and quickly said, "Huh, now I look like Pam's Tim" -- proud as punch of his new do. Backfire.
It wasn't until later, as Jason helped me finish up the dishes, that he told me the funnest part of the whole story. Apparently, to get Jason's attention and alert him to what he'd done - he peeked his head around the corner from the living room into the dining room and quietly, in a sing-song voice, said, "Gave myself a little haircut" -- which of course, got Jason's attention. The rest is history. And we're still laughing at the ornery little shit.
And thanking our lucky stars that he didn't touch his sisters pretty little blond curls! :)
Comments
Post a Comment