Colton - we're never quite prepared for what's going to come out of your mouth. Everyday is an adventure with you. You are smart beyond your years -- which sometimes causes you to get into trouble. What has been my mantra lately? "Colton. Just focus on being 5. Okay?" -- trust me, one day you'll miss the carefree days of 5...so don't wish them away being too much like the big boys!
Until I can convince you of that, thank you for occasionally reminding me you are 5 with the things you say. Sweet innocence.
Monday night we did random acts of kindness in our community. It was wonderful! I found a website that encouraged acts of kindness and gave wonderful ideas. I emailed a few of Colton's classmates Mom's whom I am friends with, and with a few candy canes in hand, and the cute little candy cane tags we printed out -- we set off to "light up our community". The kids were great -- they'd knock on the door, shout Merry Christmas, sing Jingle Bells, Merry Christmas again, and in the blink of an eye, they were banging on the next door! SUCH a fun evening -- although, the Brookston Senior Living Community has likely never spun a circle so fast! Hard to keep up with a handful of 5-6 year olds!
So on Tuesday morning, we were discussing more acts of kindness we could do. I brought up that we could scoop Grandma Pat's walkways...that'd be nice. And Colton says -- "Mom, we only do acts of kindness to old people, and she's not old?!" (I'm not kidding Pat, he really said that!!!) I explained that he's right, Grandma Pat isn't old, and that age doesn't matter -- we can do acts of kindness for anyone - our friends, our neighbors, whoever -- no matter their age.
Yesterday - you woke up thinking it was Christmas morning! Dad and I lacked this year at gradually wrapping presents and sticking them under the tree. What a fun surprise! I loved the look on your face...and was enjoying the Christmas glow, until you found a box under the tree and said, "oh, that's mine. I bet it's a guitar!"...I asked how you knew, and you said, "because I asked for one, and it's a weird box". I followed up with a few other things it could be....but dog gone you for ruining the fun! You knew exactly what it was. We'll see if that oddly shaped box still holds a guitar come Christmas. Ole Mom might just have to have some fun with you on this one! Two can play this game, kiddo!
This morning, you woke up and when I suggested you get some breakfast, you told me you weren't hungry. I said that you should eat, it would help you stay focused at school. You said that your tummy hurt. That quickly changed to your throat when you swallowed. Finally - you said - "Mom, I went into the kitchen and when I closed my eyes and thought about eating cereal, it hurt. Then I closed my eyes again and tried thinking about a poptart, but that hurt too. So, maybe I'll just eat half a pop tart".....and you did. With no complaints of your throat, or stomach hurting. Maybe you just had to talk yoruself into it? Who knows.
See. This is the adventure that you are. As random as your mother...I just don't get it! I guess at this point, I'm anxious to see what tomorrow brings!
Until I can convince you of that, thank you for occasionally reminding me you are 5 with the things you say. Sweet innocence.
Monday night we did random acts of kindness in our community. It was wonderful! I found a website that encouraged acts of kindness and gave wonderful ideas. I emailed a few of Colton's classmates Mom's whom I am friends with, and with a few candy canes in hand, and the cute little candy cane tags we printed out -- we set off to "light up our community". The kids were great -- they'd knock on the door, shout Merry Christmas, sing Jingle Bells, Merry Christmas again, and in the blink of an eye, they were banging on the next door! SUCH a fun evening -- although, the Brookston Senior Living Community has likely never spun a circle so fast! Hard to keep up with a handful of 5-6 year olds!
| Class of 2026 (that's weird to say) Christmas Caroling! (And Emmalyn!) |
| Such a fun evening! |
So on Tuesday morning, we were discussing more acts of kindness we could do. I brought up that we could scoop Grandma Pat's walkways...that'd be nice. And Colton says -- "Mom, we only do acts of kindness to old people, and she's not old?!" (I'm not kidding Pat, he really said that!!!) I explained that he's right, Grandma Pat isn't old, and that age doesn't matter -- we can do acts of kindness for anyone - our friends, our neighbors, whoever -- no matter their age.
Yesterday - you woke up thinking it was Christmas morning! Dad and I lacked this year at gradually wrapping presents and sticking them under the tree. What a fun surprise! I loved the look on your face...and was enjoying the Christmas glow, until you found a box under the tree and said, "oh, that's mine. I bet it's a guitar!"...I asked how you knew, and you said, "because I asked for one, and it's a weird box". I followed up with a few other things it could be....but dog gone you for ruining the fun! You knew exactly what it was. We'll see if that oddly shaped box still holds a guitar come Christmas. Ole Mom might just have to have some fun with you on this one! Two can play this game, kiddo!
This morning, you woke up and when I suggested you get some breakfast, you told me you weren't hungry. I said that you should eat, it would help you stay focused at school. You said that your tummy hurt. That quickly changed to your throat when you swallowed. Finally - you said - "Mom, I went into the kitchen and when I closed my eyes and thought about eating cereal, it hurt. Then I closed my eyes again and tried thinking about a poptart, but that hurt too. So, maybe I'll just eat half a pop tart".....and you did. With no complaints of your throat, or stomach hurting. Maybe you just had to talk yoruself into it? Who knows.
See. This is the adventure that you are. As random as your mother...I just don't get it! I guess at this point, I'm anxious to see what tomorrow brings!
Comments
Post a Comment