Wednesday, 22 July 2009
Well, I took the plunge, and took a new job. I'm about 2 1/2 days in, and I'm still having my woes about moving. Granted, things were no walk in the park with Conferences, but at the very least it was stable, and I don't know, up to date? Since I started on Monday, I've found out that my main boss, Bill, doesn't even have a computer. His secretary receives his email & voice mails, writes him notes, hands them to him, he hand writes a response back, and then she emails back his response. Okay...interesting, I thought -- but that's not exactly my problems -- it's his & hers. However, after spending a portion of the morning trying to figure out how to check my voice mail, passwords, etc -- I called the phone office to have them reset it, and viola...I found out that I don't get voice mail on my phone. I go to Paul, my immediate supervisor, and ask him what's up with that...and his response is that none of them have it, and he's looking at me like I'm needy for wanting/asking for it. Apparently, same thing goes for voicemails around here- if we don't answer, it goes directly up to the secretaries, who take a note, send it to us, and then we return the call or whatever.I guess I knew I'd experience culture shock. I mean, I left a huge office (that I shared, but at least she was cool!) with a window, two computer screens, voice mail, friendly/talkative co-workers and came to a office space about 1/4 the size of my old office, with an old wooden desk and old file cabinet, tucked into a corner of a brick walled office --- where I share with 3 other people, two of whom I've maybe heard 5 words out of since Monday....and the other is on vacation this week. We're not talking minor shell shock here folks...this is full fledge -- WTH (What the heck!!!).
I've compared it several times now like this -- Imagine living in NYC for 2 1/2 years, going full speed ahead, then being moved to Wolcott, IN -- the pace changes - CONSIDERABLY! I'm actually okay with the pace change....I could handle a slow down in my life. However, I don't know how I would survive here if I didn't have the internet/email. I probably would have gouged my own eyes out by now.
I'm not going anywhere -- don't worry, and I still feel that the mission of what this office does (held folks with disabilities & agriculture) is fantastic. But holy crap....I never imagined I wouldn't have voicemail, or be able to email my boss or be stuck in a little room with three guys who aren't overly friendly.
Thank God for pictures of Colton, text messages from Jason and emails from Stacy & Nat -- other wise, I might be going seriously crazy.
Comments
Post a Comment