Skip to main content

The Happiness Advantage

We had our yearly retreat yesterday for work and the theme of the event was Happiness/Customer Service & building an environment you enjoy working in. These are all things that could use a lift in my current position, so I thought the topics were timely. I was particularly struck by the morning session which featured a video by Shawn Achor titled, "The Happiness Advantage" -- (see more here (here)). One of the things he suggested that you do to become a happier person is practice a new habit for 21 straight days. For example, exercise, meditation, or the one I chose to start doing, 3 Gratitudes.

So, for the next 21 days (and hopefully I can do this on the weekends, from home...or somewhere, since we don't have internet at home right now), I'm hoping to blog my daily 3 gratitudes to help me remember that I've got a LOT to be thankful for. What a perfect time of year to sit back and reflect. So...without further ado, here goes nothing....

Today I am thankful for:
1.) My husband and his work ethic. Jason works tirelessly to provide for our family. He not only works a full time job, but seeks out additional opportunities so that he can provide a quality of life for our children that they should never have to go without.

2.) My kids and their uncanny ability to make me proud. Just when I've had it up to HERE with Colton and his arguing or and his nearly 4 year old attitude or Emmalyn and her whining, I find him helping her get dressed this morning and being proud as punch for doing so. Not to mention, she follows him everywhere they go. I'm thankful beyond thanks for my children. My world would not be without them in it.

3.) I'm thankful to have a job. I find myself complaining about this or that with my job, and there are days that the complaints are warranted, but over the course of the next 21 days, I'm going to remind myself to be thankful that I even have a job. Thankful that I'm able to bring home any kind of paycheck and that I should be doing more with what we have, to help those less fortunate.

So, they may seem like obvious things to be thankful for on this first day, but we all always need reminders that it's the littlest things we do or say that make or break the passing of an average day. Hearts like doors will open with ease with two very little keys, and two of these are "I thank you, and if you please".

Comments

  1. I'm sure you will do great with your new challenge, and I pray that it always brings happiness and brightens your day. You are truly blessed with the beautiful family you have. It's a great place to start giving thanks.

    ps - love the new look on the blog; plus, I don't know what you did differently, but I'm now able to see the security "phrase" to leave comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Well Soon, Grandpa Kent

 Here's the best way to share Dad's video. Thank you all so much for submitting the clips. This really made him smile (and say some funny things the first time we watched soon after anesthesia). I think it will be treasured company this evening in the hospital. Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts, for answering the phone calls and lifting Dad up. We appreciate all your love and support.  58E2238E-D2E3-4B38-9FF6-AE1E502ABD14.mp4

Covid ... the end. (Hopefully. Maybe. I really don't know....)

 Almost two years ago, exactly, our world drastically changed. Everyone holed up at home, scared to enter the world and catch Covid 19/Corona Virus. (Except Jason, once he got to feeling better from most likely having Covid before it was a known thing, he just went to work everyday like nothing had changed). The world basically shut down  -- special hours, curbside pick up encouraged, no dining room service only drive through or carryout. If someone coughed or sneezed anywhere near you, you were instantly suspicious. Our parents lived on complete edge and worry, taking in every ounce of information the news was constantly throwing in their faces. It was a time of great uncertainty, lots of information being thrown at us from trusted news sources, social media, and hearsay from those in the medical profession.  We spent March to May just trying to figure out our new life. No baseball. No softball. Lots of time with our animals. Lots of crafts. School from home. Porch drop ...

April - Hey Batter, Batter...

April is always the month that makes us think spring is FINALLY here, because it's starting to warm up, suns starting to shine more, except when we finally get to the baseball/softball fields, it's just as cold as it was in February. Thankfully, Emmalyn had an indoor sport to carry us through the cold of the month, until baseball/softball really got kicked off! Emmalyn tried something new this year and participated in CiVic vollebyall. This is a club program out of Carroll County, and she practiced every Sunday from January through April. Finally in late April she had three play dates. One Saturday we played up at Fairmount, IN. Grandma Jacki, Keaton and I went with Emmalyn, while Dad, Grandpa and Colton cut down some trees in preparation for our spring projects. Emmalyn and Mae Ella did a wonderful job for their team, both rocked their serving and seemed to know the game and keep their cool better than some on the team. The second weekend Dad, Em & Mom traveled to Triton H...