I love this time of year because I enjoy coming up with random fun things to do with the kids to help them really enjoy the season. I have always loved the Christmas season because of the many memories of my childhood.
I can remember kicking off Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving with the Wolcott Elementary School Craft Bazaar. I got to get up early with Mom on that Saturday and Trisha and I got to spend the day with our Mom's/Aunt's selling all of their delicious baked goods. We loved getting the taco salads for lunch. I remember getting to go with Dad, all by myself, for a night of Christmas shopping. He'd even treat me to dinner at my location of choice. I remember elementary school Christmas programs, high school girlfriend Christmas gift exchanges and of course, the Hall Family Christmas extravaganza............or caroling to our Aunts & Uncles before getting to open gifts. Not to mention the food. There was never a hungry soul to be found. These memories are what drive me to hopefully instill the same sense of peace & love in this season that I had growing up. Matt & Trent, could you hurry up and have some kids, so we can start the Hall Family Christmas Eve Caroling Extravaganza tradition??? ;)
This year - we opted to not do the Christmas tree hunt, cut down, put up session that we have in the past. Although I thought it would provide great memories for our kids, it's only produced nightmare-ish memories for Jason and I. Perhaps I pushed that one a bit prematurely. However, think I hit a home run with something very simple. This year, after church on the eve of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, we made a quick pitstop at the Purdue Memorial Union to see the giant Christmas tree that they bring in each year, and took a quick tour of the lifesize ginger bread house (okay, probably 6 feet tall, but to a toddler, that's lifesize!). I think I like this tradition. Quick. Built the excitement around Christmas. Gave us a good time together as family. Free. Yeah, we'll do this one again next year! :)
 |
| Thankfully, Jason's not tall. He took the Ginger Bread House tour as well! : |
 |
| The Ginger Bread House - smells great! |
 |
| The tree! |
 |
| The munchkins! |
 |
| Wish they were looking, but it's still cute! She loves her daddy! |
 |
| :) Love this one too! |
 |
| Courtesy of Colton! |
 |
| Group Shot! |
Jason is also planning to take the kids shopping one on one, much like my dad did. That's a tradition I hope gets continually passed on, because even at 29, I still hope Dad will call me up for that special date, and ask for my help in picking out Mom's gift. You simply can't replace memories like that.
I'm sure there will be many more fun things pop up between now and the actual day we celebrate Christmas, Jesus's brthday & Santa's special deliveries, but for now, the season is off to a great start!
Comments
Post a Comment